Walmart Announces Walmart+ Membership

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Beth Gallagher, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I tried once to order from Walmart and nothing I wanted shipped to me, and they certainly don't deliver to my location, so it was worthless. I never tried again. Amazon is not bad, but they have quite a few things they won't ship to me. Often I can get those from eBay just fine. Sometimes I have it shipped to one of our children in the Lower48 and pick it up the next time I visit or they bring it up if they are coming this way.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Sing with me:
    For the times they are a-changin'.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Jayce Gray

Jayce Gray Active Member
    Registered

Happened to 'catch' the 1/2 price sale..a bit ago
    Working out

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For the second time in a row, Walmart told me that they were out of cabbage. I tried ordering both regular cabbage and organic cabbage. How on earth can a Walmart store be out of cabbage for TWO WEEKS ?
    That is insane.
    So I called our walmart store to see if they were really out of cabbage. The machine answered and said they would not answer their phone and please call 1-800-walmart, so I did .
    After grumbling about cabbage to the AI machine, it directed me to a human who would understand what the word “cabbage” meant.
    She took all of my information, put me on hold, and then I got cut off.

Called back, complained about that to the AI machine, and it connected me to a human again. This time, I was on the phone for almost a half hour, while she told me I had to reorder, and I explained that i can’t just order a head of cabbage from a different walmart, you have to order at least $35 for delivery.
    Anyway, eventually, she ordered me one head of cabbage , to be delivered this afternoon, from the other walmart store, with free delivery.

Walmart orders just do not make sense sometimes.
    Bobby’s columbian coffee comes with the main order. My breakfast light roast is coming in a special delivery today.
    Now, the cabbage is also coming from some other walmart in a special delivery.
    How can they not have all of these products IN the store ?
    (I told Bobby, being the grocery ordering person is hard work, these days…….)

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That's pretty frustrating when you're trying to plan a meal.

My Walmart is 8 miles up the road. I drive past it and go another 15 miles to do my weekly produce shopping in the larger town. I've never ordered groceries to be delivered from any store. A couple of times I've had other stuff delivered from the Walmart store by accident, and I'm not fond of that non-grocery process.

In Walmart's defense, they are a dry goods store that plugged groceries into the model. I was talking to the produce manager one day about how many times their inventory must "Turn." The volume requires 3x-4x the square footage, and it's costing them dearly in labor to perpetually replenish.

6. Yvonne Smith

We have the Walmart Neighborhood Market about a mile away, and that is where I order from. Since all they do is basically groceries, they should be able to keep food in stock as well as any other grocery store, and better than some because Walmart is such a huge corporation.
    Apparently, the person who loaded the order was not the delivery person, because he brought a huge 2-3 gallon jug of spring water, which I did not order. Bobby took it back out to the driver before he left, and hopefully, they get it to the right person who ordered it.
    I also discovered a container of chicken stock, but the driver was gone by then, so we will be keeping that. I checked my order to make sure that nothing from mine got switched in the delivery process, and we seem to have received everything.
    Poodle and I happily had stirfry cabbage, carrots and green beans for lunch with the last bit of cabbage I had left, so hoping the new order comes through with my fresh cabbage this afternoon.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I will take Amazon over Walmart any day , when its about shipping.Do not think Walmart delivers food out here anyway.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't think anyone delivers food where I live...except a local pizza joint that my wife can't eat. We can order for pickup, but we never do because they always screw up the order.

9. John Brunner

Same here.
    -No food delivery.
    -No Enterprise picking me up.

I miss the convenience of renting a car, but I've never been big on ordering delivered food.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been driving to town WITH A LIST lately instead of even considering ordering food. I have some sprouting seeds but can't wait for spring!

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never used Walmart for a food/grocery delivery, but I do use the regular grocery store (HEB or Kroger) delivery. I've been having groceries delivered for over 5 years, even before I was sick or the Covid mess. It's just a convenience that I enjoy so it's worth the delivery fee/tip to me to have a weekly grocery delivery including cases of bottled water, soft drinks, beer, etc placed right on my front porch so I don't have to wrangle them into a cart and then my car. Plus, the more I can stay out of public areas, the better. :D

12. John Brunner

Because I live alone, my shopping trips are what prevent me from becoming a complete hermit. And I enjoy grocery shopping.

13. Yvonne Smith

I am doing the Walmart thing again today, but this time only ordered one whole chicken and some sweet potatoes, so the plan this time is for roast chicken and sweet potatoes.
    They don’t even have the 2-pack on the website today, so they really must be out of that.
    I like going shopping at the store, too, @John Brunner ; but now that most everything is self-checkout and the cashier lines stretch a long ways and take forever, using the walmart+ delivery makes way more sense for me.

The weather is supposed to be warming up by tomorrow, and we are hoping to go to the fitness center , and will maybe stop at Aldi’s on the way back home if we do go out.
    We both miss going to the fitness center, but I hate swimming for an hour and then going outside in the cold and sometimes wind and rain, and we are looking forward to spring weather again.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to love grocery shopping but now I'm happy to let someone else do the legwork. I believe that I save money with delivery, even considering the delivery fee/tip. I am one of those susceptible to displays and impulse buys so I end up with dozens of things not on my list if I'm on the loose in a big store.

15. John Brunner

I wonder how much money stores are losing by not having customers like us visit in person. I went in to Walmart yesterday afternoon to get bleach, shrooms and asparagus, and I walked out with a Sweet Potato Pie. And I can see people avoiding the hassle of dragging their kids along with their impulse buys.

I guess stores must be able to get more sales per square foot if those sales are made to people who never set foot in the place. There are always a bunch Order Pickers in my local Walmart when I go there.