Walmart Curbside Pick-up Order Notice

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Was doing a curb pick-up order this morning and there was a notice at the top of the screen stating "as of January 1, 2003, Walmart will no longer supply plastic shopping bags for free. Either a charge (per bag) will be added to the bill or a customer can bring their own bags."

So, we just bought, for $7 each, two heavy-duty plastic milk crates to put in the vehicle when we do a curbside pickup.

There are stores today where a customer has to request their bought item be put into a plastic bag, or the item won't be. I remember when nobody could walk out of a store with bought item not in a bag. Boy have times changed!

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is interesting, @Cody Fousnaugh . I do not see that on my Walmart page, so maybe it is just for your state and not here. Do you have Walmart+ or just order and do free pickup , maybe that makes a difference ?

What i did notice that changed was what they now day about delivery. Before , you chose the Walmart store, and then chose pickup or delivery. Now, if you choose the store, it just says curbside pickup and not delivery. Delivery says my address and then shipping/delivery from store, but not the particular store like it used to say.

Yesterday, when my order came, it said that the mayonnaise was going to be shipped instead of delivered, but last night a delivery person came with the mayonnaise , from a different Walmart (I could see by the tracking map). I think that they are starting to just send orders from whatever store has the items in some cases, because i am pretty sure that my store would have had mayonnaise.

We have some of the regular reusable grocery bags, so if we need to use them, we can do that; but it seems like that would make it harder for the delivery person if they required this for delivery.

3. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

we haven't seen that yet...could be any time now

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yvonne, I just researched the Walmart Plus and we are going to think about it. $98 a year or $12.95 per month doesn't sound too bad, but we really don't mind doing the "curbside pickup" thing.

As far as the "no more plastic bags" goes, it's for all of Colorado starting January 1st. As of that day, all Self-Serve and regular check stands will not supply plastic bags for items to be put in. Reusable bags (cloth) can be bought to take bought items to vehicle and home or items will be put back into cart, or carried out, and taken out to vehicle.

I have a Walmart app on my iPhone that I use to order "curbside pickup" on, until I started using our desktop and printing out what we ordered/bought. With the app, I also check-in (space I parked in) when we arrive at Walmart and we get the "your order is ready" and a list of anything that wasn't available.

My wife keeps the printout of all orders to compare with the bill we get from Walmart.

5. Yvonne Smith

In November, Walmart offered a one-time special on Walmart+ for half price, so I signed up for it. We usually had ordered online and drove down and picked up groceries, but with the bad weather in winter, it seemed to me like having groceries delivered would be a good idea.

It also includes free shipping on items you buy that have to be shipped, and a discount up to 10 cents per gallon on gas from a Walmart gas station.
    There is a membership with Paramount Plus also, and I think a few more things that I do not remember; so for the $45 for the year, it seemed worth doing.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Unfortunately, Yvonne, we had two things shipped to us that we never got. That was the first time that ever happened. We decided to "let it go" and not order anything else to be shipped to us from Walmart. Both items stated that we got them at our door, but we sure didn't. Have never/ever had a problem with shipping/receiving from Amazon. What I like about Amazon delivery to our door, they take a photo of the item delivered and send it to me.

7. Yvonne Smith

So does walmart when they deliver. If you didn’t get a photo, then Walmart should have checked and found out what happened and re-sent the packages.
    Either it went somewhere else, and walmart got a picture of some other (happy) person’s porch, or the whole delivery was somehow lost. Either way, they should have replaced it.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't know what happened, but do know that we didn't get the two items.

Now, what we have found out is that Walmart has turned a number of "available for pickup" things that we use to get, into "shipping only". Toilet paper and believe it or not, Skippy Natural Peanut Butter is "shipping only", just to make a few things we use to be able to get "curbside pickup" on.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yes, that is like my mayonnaise yesterday. I know that I could have walked into the store and bought it, yet they marked it as shipping instead of delivery.
    However, the shipping turned out to be delivery later that day, that came from one of the larger Walmarts. I think that if you order larger quantities, they are doing that now. I order my TP from Sam’s Club by the box, so it always comes with shipping, but it is a large box.

10. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've never used curbside delivery and I'm confused as to how it works. How do they bring the groceries to your car if you have your own bags? Do they put them in a cart, wheel them out, and bag them for you at the car with your own bags? I don't get it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

I wondered that same thing, @Jane Carlson . When we use the curbside pickup, they bring out the long milk-crate boxes with the groceries already bagged in plastic.
    It would make it a lot harder for the workers to have to put the groceries in the crates if they were not already in bags. And for home delivery, it would be even more awkward, because they are supposed to bring the grocery bags up onto your front porch. If they brought them without sacks, you would end up with just a pile of food on the porch.
    I am guess that most people will end up paying for the bags because it is the simplest way to deliver the food, either pickup or delivery.

12. Jane Carlson

Registered

So, if you order groceries to be delivered and don't pay for bags, they actually just set food in a pile on your front doorstep?
    Or if you do curbside, they would just put loose grocery items in your car if you don't have plastic crates?

I've read that it takes about 1 cent to produce a plastic bag and the stores pay 2 to 5 cents per bag, which is normally added into the cost of the products being sold. Why then is the store charging the customer an additional 10 cents for the bag? The cynical side of my brain is saying, because they can. The emotional side is saying, another customer rip off. Money grubbing companies just won't take their hands out of our pockets.

Sorry, it seems the smallest thing will set me off lately.

13. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

with the new ESG....
    Environmental Security Guidelines...decided by the World Forum..and climate worshipping people...companies must comply...to the rules..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Jane Carlson

Registered

I always bring my plastic bags back to the store to be recycled in an effort to help the environment. Maybe if the store paid the customer 1 cent per bag returned for recycling they'd get a lot more bags back and make the World Forum people happy.

Krystal Shay and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I went to my urologist in the outskirts of Richmond Friday, and stopped by a nearby Kroger. I had to pay a dime each for bags. I shop at one of the many Krogers in Charlottesville every week and have not encountered that before.

I belonged to The Center for Science in the Public Interest (Ralph Nader's group) for many many years (I loved The Nutrition Action Newsletter), and bought branded canvas shopping bags from them in the 80s (I was an early adopter of reusable bags.) Those things get awfully funky awfully fast. If it ain't the wet veggies from the fabricated rain forest the stores create, you got meat & fish juices. You can wash away the bacteria, but you cannot get rid of the unappealing stains.