Walmart Curbside Pick-up Order Notice

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 16, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's called our "Tipping Point."

Back the early days of 60 Minutes, when recycling became the latest way to control the masses, they aired an unintentional exposé that a 5th grade girl did on her school's new recycling program.

The school had the kids using recyclable trays in the cafeteria. The scraps would go in the trash can, the silverware went into the bucket, and the trays were dutifully stacked off by themselves. The girl wanted to do a report on the program for her Science Project, so she took her dad's video camera into the school and filmed the sheep students doing their part. Then she rode with her dad in the car as she filmed the recycling company picking up the trays and then getting on the road. Camera rolling, they followed the truck out of town and to the landfill, where the "recyclable" trays got dumped with the kitchen garbage and the used mattresses.

It was somewhat of a scandal, but of course no one questioned the continuation of the program or the introduction of subsequent ones.

2. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Evidently recycling the trays wasn't cost effective for the company. Profits over environment.

Quite awhile ago I read something about plastic bags not being recycled because of a clogging issue with the machines. But I think they're working on that problem.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My Walmart told me at the pickup location it is going to be discontinued Jan 1 and maybe they will install a drive-thru. I broke my ankle so a drive thru or pick up is necessary as I cannot walk on I for 10 weeks.

4. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Can someone come with you and grab one of those motorized scooters for you and bring it out to the car? If no one can shop with or for you, maybe delivery is going to be your only option.

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Nothing is. We have two garbage trucks come once a week. For a while it was just one. people complained that the recyclables were not being recycled so two came again. I believe the second dumped where the first did. China used to buy our recyclables but they don't anymore.

Jane Carlson likes this.
  6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

oh my..just saw this...are you sure the January 1st change is for pickup..not the bags...
    you will need help...get well..and stock up before then..you won't need to go out

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have only ordered once for a shipment from Walmart- and did not go well..Amazon will continue to get my business. One reason I don 't like Walmart ordering online for pick up-- they want to ship some items vs me picking them up. Makes no sense.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our local Giant grocery made a couple changes, not sure what’s going on. The first is that they closed the main entrance, must now enter exit through what used to be the secondary entrance. The second change is that the self checkout registers have now had this annoying feature implemented where each item scanned for price must be placed on the bagging platform.

That last is a royal pain in the butt. Three 15 pound bags of cat litter must now each be removed from the cart, scanned and placed on the platform before being returned to the cart. I used to pull one from the cart, scan it 3 times and put it back in the cart. Same with half and half, buy 4, scan each one individually, place on platform, etc.

On reflection, the front entrance is right next to where they put the collected groceries for pick up. Makes it easy for customers but also probably makes it easy for someone to just walk in, grab a bag or two and leave. The second entrance is on the opposite side of the store. Couple that with the changes they made in the self checkout kiosks and I think I detect a problem with “shrinkage’. I think I remember reading that Target lost something like $1.2 Billion [sic] last year sue to shrinkage.

9. John Brunner

Last December I commented that the county in our state capitol started charging for grocery bags, and the City of Charlottesville (or perhaps the entirety of Albemarle County) was not. Well, at some point CVille and Albemarle County started charging, too. My county (Louisa) does not charge for bags yet. It's frustrating because I carry bags with me for shopping at ALDI but don't always remember to take them into other stores with me. It's doubly frustrating because no one wanted plastic bags in the first place, and the idiots who forced plastic bags on us are now charging us because they are "bad for the environment." *sigh*

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Regarding Walmart pickup: Has anyone ever had Walmart substitute products in your orders without asking or telling you? I once ordered night lights that were sold in the store, but my local store did not have as many as I needed. I assumed the order would be delivered from Walmart's warehouse. What happened was the order got delivered from the store directly to my home by a Walmart person. But instead of sending the right quantity of the item I ordered, I received a selection of different night lights.

I took the wrong ones back to the store for credit, and was told that when you place a Ship-From-Store Order online, they unilaterally substitute products without any notification. And you have no idea your order is getting processed locally...there is no option where you choose "Ship-From-Store," it just happens. One must assume if the ordered products are stocked locally, those items ship from the store, and if the store's On Hand Quantity is insufficient to fill your order, the order still goes through and you get a surprise substitute.

It seems their process does not have a mechanism for dealing with shortages and crediting back your credit card. What do they do for out-of-stock items on Pickup Orders?

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Yup. Walmart does not do this, but the grocery stores do.

The other stupid thing is that every single produce item prompts you for Quantity. I am only buying one head of romaine, one bunch of radishes, one head of radicchio, etc. Maybe I'll send HQ an email and ask them to go dump their database and see how many of those "Enter Your Quantity" purchases are for 1 Only, and then remove this feature. Or turn it on by product and not by category. And why only produce? Don't people ever buy 2 containers of milk, or 2 boxes of the same cereal, or 2 packs of toilet paper?

Thomas Windom likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have the Walmart+ and when I order, they will ship some of my items occasionally, too. I know that it is something that I could walk into the store and pick up off of the shelf, like a large jar of mayonnaise; so I have no clue why they do not deliver it with the other groceries. . Usually, they send a delivery person out from one of the other Walmarts so I still get it the same day, but not always.

I can tell what is going to be shipped when i place the order, so if it is something I need right away, then I order a different brand or size of the same item that will be delivered.
    This time, they are shipping my green olives (2 jars on sale) and 4 packets of Italian dressing mix. I know they have them in the store; but I do not need either one right away, so shipping works for me in cases like this. The shipping does not cost anything; so I just have to make sure that they are not shipping something I need immediately.

As far as substitutions go, there is a place on the order form where you can designate that you do or do not want substitutions, but it does not always work.
    If I order a loaf of Dave’s Killer bread, and they are out, I still need a loaf of bread, so I want a substitution of SOME kind; but they often do not send one, and just say they are out of Dave’s bread.
    I end up ordering a loaf of 2 different kinds of bread each time, hoping that they will have at least one kind available.

Walmart is good at refunding your money if they send you the wrong thing, forget something, or the item is no good; so I have never had any trouble with that part.