What Are Some Of The Hobbies You Lost Due To Age?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Jake Smith, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s one of those dunno things again.
    I tend to take everything I do (or did) pretty seriously and I’m extremely competitive so I can’t think of anything I could really call a hobby as such.

I got into the same conversation with a friend quite a few years back and he stated that since I had been married and divorced a few times that I could claim that as a hobby.
    I guess if that’s allowed then yeah, since I have a keeper now, getting married and divorced is something I won’t be doing any longer.

Jake Smith likes this.
  2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's a different hobby.:D But I guess it is one you lost now. :)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My hobbies were pretty tame. A few I can think of is reading, sewing, food photos, family tree research, and gardening. I just got bored, old, and lazy doing some of them on any regular basis, I suppose. What I miss is my stamina of being able to the things that I normally did for years. I always liked washing, waxing/detailing our rides. I love a shiny clean auto even if it just sits in the garage. But for sometime now, cleaning the autos is hard on my hands and wrists, and then there is all that squatting down to clean the tires and wheels. It is hard to Get. Back. Up! :p Same situation when I use to wash and stain the deck a couple times a year. A big plus, my husband replaced our old deck and built a deck with the plastic decking and rails, so now all we have to do is wash it. And on and on the decline goes with the other great adventures, I still try to do.:D

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Pretty sure that I am thankful that he gave that particular hobby up. I don’t want to be replaced.

5. Jake Smith

Registered

That sounds like a good match, Yvonne, Love your new avatar.:)

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Jake Smith

Registered

Metally the stamina seems the same, isn't that weird. I'm still able to get it all done mentally but the body says no.:confused: I always loved keeping the vehicles clean and shiny too. Now Marie said why make them look so good some will just steal it this day and time.:(
    Your deck that your husband put up sounds like a good idea, to cut on labor too. Gardening is still a hobby we try to do just less of it anymore.:)

Krystal Shay and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Well...I've been a dabbler. I've done wood burning, needle point, mounted & modified posters of Renaissance art and built classic style frames, some woodworking, repaired & resold second hand lamps, I've played a ton of racquetball, used to do lots of bike riding, I've fished a lot (freshwater.) A whole bunch of stuff like that, and more I've forgotten.

I put in a huge garden with 6' posts, put an electric fence around it, the deer breached it, and it's sat for several years. I started to install a perimeter fence, which required I re-till the garden, remove the vine-covered fence, and take down a couple of trees that are in the way. I got mostly done then I just ran out of steam when it came to rewiring the electric fence.

Some people hire a Life Coach.
    I have a Life Couch.

edit to add (from reading Krystal's comment) I used to be a voracious reader.

8. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yep! My mind says, "lets do this, and this, and that!!" My body says, "whoa, lets not jump off a cliff now. :rolleyes: Pick one thing and try to get that done.":D

Jake Smith and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

If I jumped off of a cliff, I'd probably run out of steam halfway down...kinda like a Bugs Bunny cartoon where he hits the air brakes.

News broadcaster: "It's a horrific scene, Joe. Dozens of of hopeless seniors came to this precipice to chuck it all to the wind, yet there they float, stuck halfway down. Officials considered lowering down cases of Red Bull to give them the energy to finish the trip...but since it gives you wings, more discussion is needed."

Krystal Shay and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I did a lot of Trail Riding in the early 70s but of course I was in my mid 20s. That would be un motorized four legged animals of course. Only thing I did not like was night rides, so boring and you might as well have been at home in bed. I remember one ride outside Houston after dark and it was down a very rough road, they had potholes a foot deep. My girlfriend at the time bought a Palomino that had been pastured for a long time so she wanted me to ride the horse. Poor old horse could hardly lift her feet as we were making the turn to our staging area she was so tired. So was I , I crashed in the back of the horse trailer, don't know about the horse but she didn't wander off. Today I have a hard time just walking up three steps to my porch top. I don't feel so bad, today I officially finished my very first day of being 74.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well happy birthday to you, Thomas! Hope you and the kitties had a relaxing day.

[​IMG]

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

So unlike a young couple that sits across the room and texts each other, we now have you two seniors that post on SOC to each other from across the room. I love it.:cool:

13. Jake Smith

Registered

That's what happens after 45 years together.:)

Krystal Shay and Faye Fox like this.
  14. Jake Smith

Registered

Congrats on making 74, I have ridden at night but mostly on days. So you or the older horse didn't get hurt, huh? That would be a dangerous ride at night with lots of potholes. :rolleyes:

15. Jake Smith

Registered

LOL, that's me these days, for sure, I can totally relate to that. :)

Krystal Shay likes this.