What Are Some Of The Hobbies You Lost Due To Age?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Jake Smith, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

One of the hobbies she mentioned that I lost, in the link, I put up, on post #76.

Horseback riding
    I loved horses since childhood. I have not grown out of that love for them, nor do I intend to. Some of the best quality time I have had with my own mother has been on the back of a horse. Horseback riding is typically not a cheap hobby, but it’s one that I have greatly enjoyed, and that I want to pass on to my children. If you decide you want to start horseback riding as a hobby, I suggest you seek the advice of a knowledgeable friend or try it out first by taking a few lessons before jumping straight into horse ownership.

This horse even looks like my last horse Tobacco. He use to put on a show for us in the field, and I would walk right up to him, and hug him when he was still hyped up, and he would just stand still and love me back, "really miss him".

[​IMG]

3. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

I didn’t lose the hobby of quilting, but I had to change it. I used to handquilt all of my quilts, but arthritis in my hands stopped that. I went to straight line quilting on a regular machine and finally bought myself a longarm quilting machine.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello Jan and welcome. Did you make the beautiful quilt in your avatar?

Jake Smith, Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As of right now, pretty much all of them, biking, running, martial arts, lifting, shooting and photography. The last two, I could resume but we sort of got in the habit of staying in during the pandemic and have just been staying at home mostly. We do enjoy movies, TV series and concert videos. My wife reads like crazy. We both need to get off our asses and be more active. We have apparently not beat ourselves up about it sufficiently.

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother was a quilter, both hand and machine and made over 300 quilts in her life. I helped on a few but never had the inkling to make one on my own other than a baby quilt for a friend. I guess I saw no need since I still have about 20 of her quilts and they look good as when she made them, one 70 years ago. Looking forward to seeing some of your designs.

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Jan Ahlmann

Registered

300! WOW! It’s addicting, like all hobbies we get hooked on. My avatar is one of my quilts.

8. Jan Ahlmann

Registered

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, the avatar is one of my quilts.

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Mel May

Mel May Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was an avid scuba diver while I was a student and because my father paid for this expensive hobby. I stopped diving when I got my first job and realized what it meant to actually earn a living.

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't remember ever having a hobby. :oops: At least not one that lasted very long. I guess my hobby would be called, "See If You Can Do This, Now." I like to keep trying new things, but never long enough to get good at them.

I guess one might call having goats a hobby. For 16 years. But I saw it as more of a commitment. If it was a hobby I certainly would have lost it due to age now. I couldn't catch them, or lift 60 lb bales of hay around, like I used to.

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I miss my horses. I still have the farm but what I DO is dwindling. I feed and water stuff but daughter found it easier to put up the hay this year without me.
    Oh, I cleaned out the cat box in the barn house today.

12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I still think sewing was a great skill to have , it saves you money and saves many items ending up in landfill
    not only clothing but linens and household item as well ,in fact there is a add running on TV advising people to wash their cloths if they are stained to save getting put into landfill

I don’t mean anyone should be making cloths it’s far cheaper to buy allot of clothing now than making it .

I see so many with buttons missing / seams coming undone / tears in clothing ( no not the fancy newish trend clothing ) jeans and pants to long so all the bottoms are worn / dirty that could be easily fixed in half hour or less

So many skills allot of us had when younger appear to be sadly lacking now days.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  13. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thankfully, I haven't lost any yet but have slowed down on all of them, some more than others. I still ride motorcycles, which has been a 70 years running favorite pastime.

[​IMG]

The newest hobby is drone photography, which is something you can do sitting down, should that time come.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My hobby for my life till now has been, no offense intended @Beth Gallagher, has been to admire women's posteriors..MY wife knew about it. In fact she called me "ass-man".
    I don't do it any more because I don't go to malls anymore.

15. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Years ago, I used to oil-paint by watching Bob Ross, an online teacher. He made it look easy to paint landscapes. It was fun to watch Bob create a beautiful landscape in 30 minutes. By applying his approach, I was turning out some halfway decent looking oil paintings. I miss that old hobby a lot. It was a great way to get away from the stress of everyday life, but it had to go as I got older.