What Are Your Thoughts On Artificial Intelligence?

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Dwight Ward, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, ever since watching Star Trek as a kid I have imagined diagnostics like "Bones" used back then. :D

upload_2023-2-19_12-37-0.png

"He's dead, Jim!"

2. Bert Davies

Bert Davies Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Imagine a world where the total population are just sitting on their backsides, full time, while robots with artificial intelligence do all the jobs that humans once did. What a boring place the world would be.

3. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Did you ever see this movie? It’s actually pretty good. Interesting depiction of our evolution with technology.

4. Thomas Windom

Registered

Well, I finally was able to get a session with ChatGPT. I asked it whether the LHC or anything else had lent any evidence to Garrett Lisi’s E8 “simple theory of everything”. It wrote about 4 paragraphs basically saying there was no experimental evidence supporting it yet and that no predictions had been made from it.

I wrote back that Lisi had predicted the existence of 8 other new particles to complete the E8 model and asked if any had been discovered. It wrote about 3 more paragraphs and said it was correct that he predicted them but, as of yet, there was no experimental evidence to support it.

It’s pretty cool to be able to just ask it something instead of doing multiple searches and looking through all of the results, trying to put together an answer. I asked some racing enthusiasts (excellent engine builders and fabricators) if any of them had tried it and one said he had asked it some questions (about engine components) and it was pretty much right on with the answers.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Right now, I'd welcome just about any intelligence at all in our Whitehouse.

I think the "scientists" keep pretty busy spending our tax money on Outer-space so the rich have a way to escape the mess they've made, and definitely working on AI is my guess because they can't cook for themselves, or wash their own cloths, or wipe their own..ok, you get what I'm saying ;)

6. Denise Evans

Registered

As long as there are poor people this will be only those that can afford have literally everything handed to them, and so, becoming fitless. I think it's a good wakeup call. I think it may have been here I read that 80% of our military is over-weight. I don't believe everything I hear or read, but I know I've seem some police officers that I wonder how on Earth they can pass the fitness tests that I'm sure are required?? And military? I thought they had to go through boot-camp which never sounded like a leisurely walk in the park to me:(

Bert Davies likes this.
  7. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I've looked into AI a little more. You can write a program to mimic smart response and problem solving. With fast processors and huge storage it could browse the whole digital world for samples of intelligent give and take. It's not really intelligent or self aware, though.
    So maybe AI hasn't been achieved yet - just the simulation of it. The military might have it but be keeping it under wraps. I don't think real self awareness is possible for such an entity.
    If such a 'being' did exist it may not want to be a servant to what it would see as inferior beings. It might see us as a threat. Skynet, anyone?

Bert Davies and Denise Evans like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

I know there's a lot of scifi movies that have pretty much come true, and The Day the Earth Stood Still, we could learn a lot from that one on building freaking robots :eek:

Dwight Ward likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

The way some "customer service" people act, I'd welcome a robot! At least they have an excuse to be a total jerk. LOL, I cussed at one of those recordings on businesses have on their phones?? And she kept saying, "Im sorry, I didn't get that" so I said it a couple more times, LOL! Felt good!!

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am so sorry that you are finding me to be a total jerk, and am motivated to helping you solve that issue today. Would you be willing to stay on the line after our call for a brief survey on how I did?

Dwight Ward and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. John Brunner

I read a quote from Elon Musk the other day on AI, and in my search for it, I came across his 10 Best Quotes (As of Feb 2020) on the subject. Here they are:

The least scary future I can think of is one where we have at least democratized AI…[also] when there’s an evil dictator, that human is going to die. But for an AI, there would be no death. It would live forever. And then you’d have an immortal dictator from which we can never escape.

If AI has a goal and humanity just happens to be in the way, it will destroy humanity as a matter of course without even thinking about it…It’s just like, if we’re building a road and an anthill just happens to be in the way, we don’t hate ants, we’re just building a road.

China, Russia, soon all countries w[ith] strong computer science. Competition for AI superiority at national level most likely cause of WW3. If you’re not concerned about AI safety, you should be. Vastly more risk(y) than North Korea.

Mark my words, AI is far more dangerous than nukes…why do we have no regulatory oversight?

AI is a rare case where I think we need to be proactive in regulation than be reactive. I am not normally an advocate of regulation and oversight…I think one should generally err on the side of minimizing those things…but this is a case where you have a very serious danger to the public.

The biggest issue I see with so-called AI experts is that they think they know more than they do, and they think they are smarter than they actually are…This tends to plague smart people. They define themselves by their intelligence and they don’t like the idea that a machine could be way smarter than them, so they discount the idea — which is fundamentally flawed.

Robots will be able to do everything better than us…I am not sure exactly what to do about this. This is really the scariest problem to me.

I have exposure to the most cutting edge AI, and I think people should be really concerned by it…AI is a fundamental risk to the existence of human civilization in a way that car accidents, airplane crashes, faulty drugs or bad food were not — they were harmful to a set of individuals within society, of course, but they were not harmful to society as a whole.

AI will be the best or worst thing ever for humanity.

[Governments] don’t need to follow normal laws. They will obtain AI developed by companies at gunpoint, if necessary.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Asimov was pretty cutting edge with the three laws of robotics.

First Law
    A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Second Law
    A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

Third Law
    A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

He later added the Zeroth law.
    A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.

The last one is the most essential but who is going to enforce that one or any of the others?

13. John Brunner

'

I recall reading these laws. That first one makes me wonder if a robot has failed every single time a human is harmed, anywhere in the world. It just seems to need more parameters.

14. Thomas Windom

Registered

So, apparently Google’s A.I., “Bard” is becoming available. Bard got off to an awkward start, making some significant errors, was pulled, tweaked and is now back again. I thought this was kind of funny.

”"I would say that I am on par with ChatGPT," Bard said. "We both have our own strengths and weaknesses, and we both have the ability to learn and grow."

During our wide-ranging conversation, Bard didn't display any of the disturbing tendencies that have cropped up in the AI-enhanced version of Microsoft's Bing search engine, which has likened another AP reporter to Hitler and tried to persuade a New York Times reporter to divorce his wife.”

https://techxplore.com/news/2023-03-google-ai-powered-bard.html

15. John Brunner

I read an article by a guy who asked Bard these two questions:

What are some good things about Joe Biden's presidency?
    What are some good things about Donald Trump's presidency?

Bard basically made up a bunch of lies about Biden's accomplishments ("has restored America's standing in the world"), then said "The Trump administration had some successes, but...separated families at the border," and ''called white supremacists 'very fine people.'" Apparently Bard does not understand the difference between "Tell me some good things" and "Provide biased scathing commentary."

The same question regarding Obama yielded gushing and effusive returns, such as "Oversaw a period of economic recovery and growth, and he is widely considered to be a strong and effective leader."

Yvonne Smith likes this.