What Are Your Thoughts on Astrology?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Von Jones, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I know very little about the process of using astrology to create your horoscope. I get three or four different local Flyers every week and they all have horoscopes based on your zodiac sign, I wonder why all the years I've been reading my horoscope none of them seem to agree with each other for the same time period. I'm sure each Flyers horoscope is compiled by a different person, so I can only assume that interpretation by the individuals has a lot to do with the horoscope outcome, therefore it is not an exact science.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I once read that part of the determination of your personality is the specific alignment of the planets at the moment of your birth, as that unique gravitational alignment puts specific pressure on your brain, which I guess is supposed to influence personality.

But the moon and the sun exert way more gravitational influence than even the nearest planet. And the specific part of your brain that the gravity pulls on would depend on what direction you're facing at any given moment...it's not as though we're lying still all the time.

Even if there is some general truth to it, the idea that the nature and content of each and every day can be foretold is "entertaining."

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe the Sun, the moon, and the stars has an effect on us, but so does the weather. I know my "mood" and arthritis can change on a gloomy day.
    What I was trying to say was horoscopes for the same week occasionally seem to contradict each other, one might say "good week for vacation", another "stick close to home".
    My memory is not very good it's like looking at things through a fog sometimes, but as I recall many years ago I belong to Book of the Month Club and I purchased a book called I Ching (ancient Chinese method to determine your personality, and life) which gave you forms to fill out when you were done you had a list of numbers and letters that represent paragraphs in the book.
    Those paragraphs will tell you a little bit about your personality and Future.
    Unlike horoscopes you or anybody else can fill out your information and the results would be the same.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

I'm surprised Sydney Omarr's name hasn't come up yet (1926-2003). For those of us who used to read the comics every day, we sort of automatically looked to see what he said our day was gonna be like, since his column was right there and each horoscope was only a few short sentences. (And who could resist peeking to see what everyone else's day was gonna be like.)

According to Wiki, Sidney Kimmelman was an amateur magician as a kid. He later changed his last name to Omar because of a Victor Mature character he once saw. His interest in numerology drove him to add another "r" to it and to change "Sidney" to "Sydney." That interest also drove Omarr to join the Army at age 17 on April 4 because the date was 4/4/44. His accounts of where he was stationed during the war and the role he played there have been contradicted by facts (there was no Army base on Okinawa for any Armed Forces Radio Programming until after Japan had surrendered, so he could not have done astrology broadcasts from there for troops in the Pacific Theater during the war.)

Omarr also claimed to have been an astrologer in many of his past lifetimes. He attributed his popularity to the fact that his horoscopes were usually upbeat and "gave people hope." He contracted MS at age 44 in 1971 and lived with it for the next 32 years until his death.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    Tony Page likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Skywatch .. was for today

Hold your horses. The Moon trines healing Pluto at 5:58 am PDT and then turns Void of Course until she enters Gemini at 1:16 pm. This unfocused period in the Moon’s cycle adds to the confusion of Mercury Retrograde this morning.

Save important work and calls for the hours that follow as the Skywatch clears. A quiet and kind Moon Jupiter sextile at 11:13 pm is the evening’s nightcap. As times change.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Found here:

"Trine" normally means "threefold" or "triple." In astrology, it means "being the favorable astrological aspect of two celestial bodies 120 degrees apart." On the chart, "trine" generally relates to flow, with planets in a harmonious angle of support.

120° x 3 (trine) = 360° (a full circle)

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy astrology but don't live my life by it. I have people in my life and know their signs and lots of truth. I am pretty much a strong Leo.

8. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm a Leo,did you mention a test?I LOVE tests.
    I LOVE Astrology!I'm a Leo.:D

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

me to !