What Book Are You Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Yvonne! I'm familiar with Amazon, but don't check often because it takes me a long time to read a book ;) But I so appreciate you showing me the other links. I have bought quite a few, well, a bunch actually, but the bummer about that is I only read books once, unless they are on herbs, medical, or exercise etc. I get a book from the library that is the first in a series, and then go back for the second and get too anxious so I buy it from Amazon ;)
    Thanks again, marking the sites you gave me :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

For humor, Lewis Grizzard was my favorite ,Erma Bombeck was good too. Both clean humorest and Lewis would add a little 'southern' culture to it.As evidenced in his titles,
    Don't Bend Over In the Garden Granny ,Them Tator's Got Eyes, Elvis Is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself'.

Mary Stetler and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

I loved Patrick McManus stories as well, had forgotten about those. He was like Bombeck I thought ;)

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Senese I'll give him a look.

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Patrick McManus is an awesome writer, and he grew up in Sandpoint , Idaho, just like I did. He was a few years older than me, but I remember riding my horse in the same areas where he talks about going on his hunting and fishing trips, or riding his bike along Sand Creek.
    It was almost like being there with him, because I could visualize everything from when I lived there.

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

I understand this well, Lewis Grizzard grew up next county over from us, so I know all the places and some of the kinds of people he uses in his humor, like
    rednecks and southern language.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

He writes funny stuff about the great outdoors, like fishing etc. I think he originally wrote articles in Field and Stream mags.

8. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just finished a book by Robert Dugoni, Damaged Control, and I just started a book by Mary Kubica, Local Woman Missing.

@Marie Mallery, I like Lewis Grizzard too! I think I have read almost all of his books at one time or another. Sometimes you just need some light humor and a good laugh.:)

9. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

theshack.jpg

I just finished reading the book 'The Shack' and for the second time. My niece wants to discuss her
    perspective and thoughts about the story, and so we shall.

10. Dan Miles

Dan Miles Well-Known Member
    Registered

11. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have just read a book by Robert Pobi and found it very confusing. Not the actual story itself but by the way it was written. It is set in New York and the author is obviously very familiar with the city. Yet he appears to be English. There are several references to English literature and a sprinkling of expressions which only an English person would use. It was full of American slang, which I didn't understand.
    This is one author I shall avoid in future.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My girlfriend just lent me Narrative of my captivity among the Sioux Indians and Nine Years Among the Indians 1870-1879. Might start them tomorrow.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Some of the early stories from the Bible , about the giants and the nephilim have always interested me, and they do even more so now that there is information that they probably also were right here in the Americas, and not just in the Bible lands and times.
    We have mounds that were made before even the American Indians came on the scene here, and giants are in their legends, too.
    Some of the old newspapers actually reported about farmers finding giants when they were digging up a field, or road builders who went through a hill and dug down into it.
    People excavated some of the mounds and found skeletal remains inside, and some were huge, as of a 10 foot tall human, give or take.

Anyway, L.A. Marzulli has a whole series of books about searching for nephilim information, and I found that they were free with my Kindle Unlmited, so I have just started the first book, and it is extremely interesting with the information for old newspapers, and pictures of artifacts that were found.

We have a thread here about Cahokia, and I am guessing that this will also turn up somewhere in this book, or one of his books.
    http://www.seniorsonly.club/threads...-did-north-americas-largest-city-vanish.4682/

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  14. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

Currently, re-reading newly replaced Harry Potter series. Sadly original books had been damaged beyond repair by a very sick dog.

As usual, I'm alternating between books. So, one night it's Harry Potter, the next it's Rick Riordan "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" due to the new TV series.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The Harry Potter series sounded like something I would like, but I didn't like it enough to read past the first book. My grandson, on the other hand, loves the books and the movies.

Caitlin D Burnside likes this.