What Do Forums Need?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I know I don't, but if the topic is something I'm interested in, I am inclined to. I rarely click on a link unless it was posted by someone I'm not very familiar with, and that's just to check to see that it's a safe link. Other than the music section, I don't embed a video unless I think that it's likely to be useful (or funny), or sometimes as a source. As an example, the Project Veritas stuff is something you have to see or hear for yourself.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree. Besides there seem to be plenty of members who do enjoy videos so I'll just keep scrollin'. :D

3. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I totally get what you're saying but I find that often others say things better than I ever could.

Marie Mallery and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This is often true; but it does not replace hearing what someone has to say to us in their own words. If I have a friend that I have not heard from in a long time (as an example) I would rather have a message from her directly than a flowery card that says what great friends we are.

This is how it is in a discussion forum, too. We come here to talk with each other, not read well-written websites or scripted videos.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I can tell you what forums don't need and that is cliques, where sooner or later the only ones left are those in the clique who can't tolerate any opposing thoughts or views.
    I realize some of us also have a tendency to use too many outside sources and I'm especially guilty of this.
    I'll work on my end and hope others do the same.
    I don't feel like it is the videos that bother if that were true so many wouldn't put them up, including those who complain about them.
    I did sleep on this, so I hope it didn't offend anyone, not my intension.

6. Dwight Ward

Registered

A combination of both might be best. Say what your point is in your own words but back it up with either embedded videos or external links. I use extended quotes often and most of the time link to their sources. There are so many outrageous things happening nowadays that documentation is needed to show evidence or proof of them and to find that sharp line between coincidence and causality. Correlation may be a better word than 'coincidence'.

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I agree but we also have to realize some sites are also risky and give false info. I try to use just the ones I know or at least familiar with.
    Like the video I put up today about illegals, could you just imagine me typing all that out, you sure wouldn't want to be one deciphering it.I can see the print better after I've posted it and all the typos and misspellings.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I think that at least a summary should accompany videos.

For example:

"This video shows that our open borders cost this nation $billion per year, and are crowding our own children out of classrooms, especially in the midwest."

That would at least show that the poster knows what's in the video, the poster has those specific points to make, and the video supports those points.

(PS: I am not a perfect man. Signed...G. Condit)

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Dwight Ward

Registered

The sites that don't have good documented data are easy to avoid, especially with the science behind disease and mRna shots. A more subtle difference in kind are the ones that sensationalize and try to scare you. Take two contrasting examples; Alex Jones and his crew try to make things as alarming as possible. Ryan Cristien on The Last American Vagabond documents everything at exhausting length and presents things in a straightforward and sobering fashion. I follow both but take the first with a grain of salt.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Dwight Ward

Registered

Good idea.
    (PS: I am not a perfect man. Signed...G. Condit)[/QUOTE]

(PS: I am a perfect man. Signed...D. Ward)[/QUOTE]

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The other night, My hubby was up all night coughing. He came down looking like a dishrag and said he was getting a cold. Had he been taking his vitamin D3 and zinc and vitamin C every day? Well no. I hit him with some of my witch doctor remedies which helped and he had breakfast and went back to bed.
    Today, I am coughing differently from normal allergies and have a runny nose and a bit of a sore throat. Used to call this a cold, or a clod w/o spell check.:rolleyes:
    I have been taking my supplements so I will just go right to witch doctor mode.
    My daughter texted that I could come over and help. She had found the mother lode of shrimp and honey mushrooms! I said I could come over but didn't want to give her this cold. It might turn out to be covid ;)
    She said she had a test kit if I wanted it. Do I care? does she?. Nope, I will wait till Monday and be better. I don't need a test to tell me what I have even if it has a new name.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2022
    John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

I agree and that's a good idea, I'll keep it in mind and try to do this more often.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

@Mary Stetler

Could you please--just for me--Edit your reply and delete the letter I and the space immediately following it? Leave the left bracket, the backslash, the word Quote and the right bracket.

Like so [/quote]

Quoting issue 2.png

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. John Brunner

Me too.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Mary Hubby aka Jake and I have been so sick this past week that I put up a thread in Heath and Wellness Forum,I'll tag you so you can see it, but your post sounds exactly like what we have had,