What Do You Most Love About Living In Your Country?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, May 19, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What do you most love about living in your country, meaning whichever country you consider to be your country?

2. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I can’t say I love anything about it but I often reflect on how lucky I am to have been born in this country instead of so many other 3rd world or oppressive countries. Many of us have no idea how good we have it.

Mary Stetler and Jane Carlson like this.
  3. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I feel blessed to be in this country.

As the saying goes...there but for the grace of God go I.
    image 1.jpg

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I love the opportunities for people to mostly do whatever they want, either as an employee or establishing a business. The way it somehow all works is magic. It's a great drive of "mobility of classes."

Mary Stetler and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe we all take living in America for granted. It might help a lot of attitudes if we were forced to live in some 3rd world nation for a month. I have never given any thought to what I "love most" about living here but I certainly appreciate my personal freedoms. I also love and appreciate the varied natural beauty of this country.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've often wondered how the heck returning soldiers cope after all they have seen and been through, only to return to a nation of narcissistic children (like folks back stateside sending letters to combat soldiers during WW2 complaining of butter shortages.)

I was at a member's meeting with my electric coop that started off with a video of volunteer linesmen from a bunch of different utilities running power to a village in Bolivia. A few of those guys were present. One was almost in tears as he told of how happy those people were even before they got electricity, "having nothing" as measured by our material standards. What got him chocked up was when he returned home, he could not impart that lesson to his children. He could see how they were being ruined. I have to hope that over time he'll be able to teach them that lesson...but there are competing forces that many adults cannot resist.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I like freedom which is why I am concerned about some technology. I love our Constitution, as it stands, and hope those that are responsible will uphold it.