What Happens To Your Pet If You Are Rushed To The Hospital And Live Alone?

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Chrissy Cross, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Fascinating! But all this info really should be on our bodies or in/on things near ourselves, like a cell phone. Its comforting to know police will look there, but what is stopping medics or ER staff from looking at cell phones where ICE info is stored?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For most of my career, EMS providers were not permitted to honor DNR orders, which placed us in an uncomfortable position at times. Toward the end of my career, physician medical directors began to include DNR orders in EMS protocols. We were still sometimes placed in an uncomfortable position, when a family member (the one who called the ambulance to begin with) would insist on resuscitation, while there might be a written DNR order in evidence. In such cases, most protocols suggested erring on the side of resuscitation, since a dead patient wasn't as likely to sue as a living relative.

3. Ken Anderson

Medics sometimes get accused of stealing things, so we will generally not look through anyone's wallet or touch their possessions. I was accused of stealing a patient's ring once, which of course I didn't do, and it's a very uncomfortable position because the police will generally treat the medic like a criminal, while family members will be threatening lawsuits, and people begin to wonder. In my case, this was an elderly woman who was living alone, and who had had a heart attack which she did not survive.

Her daughter insisted that her mother always wore her diamond ring, and it was missing. Ergo, I must have stolen it. She wasn't wearing a ring, and may have put it in a drawer, lost it, pawned it, or gave it away, for all I know. Eventually, the daughter quit calling and nothing came of it. The daughter may have found it, but no one ever calls to apologize about such things.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't feel comfortable with the DNR and I know my husband didn't want it but I had to agree to it. Did ask what would happen if I took the sign off the fridge before calling an ambulance. They said. Nothing would happen. So that kind of reassured me that I had an option.

It never became an issue anyway. The one time I did call an ambulance he was conscious.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Ken Anderson , that's terrible about the ring. I have the utmost respect for paramedics, firefighters, etc.

I would never think to accuse one of stealing something.

Ken Anderson and Ruby Begonia like this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That is not a stupid question. It is what they call realtalk. I'm fortunate to have a husband and a housemaid so if something happens to me, my dogs will not be neglected. But if you were my neighbor, I would probably volunteer to look not only after your dog but also after you in case there is an emergency. I understand the problem of living alone. Over here, living alone is a rare case because Filipinos have the penchant for sentimentality so grown up children live with their parents or aged parents live with their children.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's very kind of you, Corie. Thank you!

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

My neighbors know they're allowed to break the door in if they need to. I had planned to give them a key, but didn't get around to it back when we used to hang out on a consistent basis. I'm not as close to them as I used to be, but they still know if the front light's one for 2 days or more, or they see the strays looking for food, there could be a problem. They have my number, and can get me on Facebook, as well. I tend to leave a bag with dry food in case they need to gnaw through it, and they have 2 large water bowls, so should be o.k. My mom won't get another pet because she worries about who would take it if she died. In the past, I would have without question, but now I can barely support myself and my cats & feed the strays, so I wouldn't be able to.

@Chrissy Page I'm not sure if you're familiar with ICE, but it stands for In Case of Emergency, and from what I've heard, most emergency responders will check your cell phone for that information, so they can notify your loved ones/doctors, etc. I don't have a cell phone, but they could look at my home phone directory and see there are only a few people I speak to on a consistent basis, and contact them.

Here's some information about how to add ICE to your cell phone, and there are also ICE apps available for smart phones/tablets.

http://www.wikihow.com/Add-ICE-to-Your-Cell-Phone

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, Diane. Up a few posts Ruby said that some don't. It won't hurt to put it in though.

I'm trying to think of a place I could tape a note with instructions for paramedics that would be seen by them if I can't talk and not be an eyesore to me. Maybe if I frame it. :)

10. Ken Anderson

As in my post about the vial of life, the refrigerator door is the best place since most medics will look for vial of life information if they have a patient who they can't communicate with. Otherwise, they won't be likely to go through any other part of the house. Get a vial of life sticker (free) and put the information in a baggie that is attached to your refrigerator door. See the vial of life link that I added on my previous post. You can add additional information to what they suggest, although keep it brief.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

So,medics will go look for the fridge? My kitchen wouldn't be seen from just walking in the house, unless I dropped on the floor there but they would see my kitchen before seeing my bedroom where I always envision myself dying.

Ok, I looked at the link, Ken and it sounds good. My slight OCD usually stops me from putting unsightly things anywhere but this is important stuff.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

Found this...One might have a sticker for the front door.. 001.gif
    th.jpg
    tt.jpg

13. Ken Anderson

I don't know if anyone has anything to add to this thread but since it was a good thread that hasn't had new posts since February of 2016, I'll bump it for those who joined us in the last six years.

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My pets are now all at the farm and my daughter is very responsible. What happens to my husband is another question. He only just realized he can go out and buy his own food and it comes in whole dinners.o_O

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We no longer have a pet and I have a husband, so I suppose there'd not be any issue in leaving a pet alone for a short time if we did have one. We have relatives within 4 miles (husband's sister and BIL) and also know our next-door neighbors well enough to call on them in an emergency situation.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022