What Is In A Name - Does It Matter?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Hedi Mitchell, Mar 7, 2023.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've worked in some very high-end technical fields (ion-microfabrication, legacy software developing, etc), and have known some very smart people who could likely not tie their own shoes. Some folks are like savants. It seems we all have a finite capacity, with our capacities either being evenly distributed, or in the case of savants (and the Musks of the world), one facet consumes the capacity meant for other skills.

Bobby Cole and Denise Evans like this.
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, like the Adams Family governing Pennsylvania :confused: I worked at Intel and supported (as an Admin) I can't remember how many were in my department. Pretty sure several of them asked me if I could schedule them in to tie their shoes :p

John West and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

That's pretty funny. Back in the day I managed vendors/purchasing/inventory for a large PC Reseller, and Hal Lashley (of Ashton-Tate dBase fame) was on our board. One day I saw this homeless-looking guy wandering around the warehouse, and as I went to confront him, someone grabbed my sleeve: "Don't you know who that is???" Yup. Hal was wandering around in clothes that even Goodwill is too good to sell.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, we only have to look at that guy that did run Twitter right :D Looks dazed and confused to me:
    upload_2023-3-9_8-21-51.jpeg

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Dumb names aren't anything new. Back in the 1960s, I knew a family who named their daughter " Crystal Shanda". Not the worst choice, you'd say, until I tell you their last name was Lehrer, pronounced like "leer".

Yep, Crystal Shanda Lehrer. Say it aloud. And, yes, it was deliberate.

6. John Brunner

I knew a guy named Bryne Hart (Bryne is pronounced "burn.")

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I almost forgot Reba (McEntire.) I find no discussion of why her parents named her Reba.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Back in the 70 when I had my second daughter, a nurse told story of patient who could not come up with a name for her girl child. Until she went to the restroom and was handed a box of pads (kotex back then) bingo, the child name appeared - Kimberly Clark . Mfg of the product.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Reba is not that rare, at least in the south. I think some use it as a nickname for Rebecca.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have mentioned her a couple of times but one of my x’ s was a full blown ionospheric level high IQer and excelled in the field of genetics but that said, she literally couldn’t go to the Alpha Beta grocery store with a hand full of coupons on double coupon day and make any sense of it.

She got bored with genetics and wanted to go into real estate so I paid for real estate school and she memorized her books in about an hour and was ready to take the Arizona State exam but she couldn’t balance a check book.

Edit: Oh yeah, to be on topic, her name is Gay. Dunno if that would be a good name today. Hello, I’m gay.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

My sister's husband was a Mensa member. Too bad he didn't like to work. He could have made a good life for his family...but he was too smart to do any of that stuff.

Regarding "Gay." I have a cousin with that name...either Gay Ann or Gayanne, I'm not sure which. She was born in the mid 50s.

Bobby Cole likes this.