What Is Soc Veteran Status Requirements?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Faye Fox, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm wondering if anyone got more than one "birthday" trophy. It may be that it's a one and done thing because I got one in 2019 but not since.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Although we may acknowledge birthday events and wish each other the best day ever, it may be that the robots zooming around the forum and handing out trophies are a bit more sympathetic rather than congratulatory and do not wish to remind us how old we’re getting.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I got two so maybe I should be punished and return one hahaha! Like Lois said it doesn't matter anyway. It is certainly not worth wasting any more time speculating about.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ken and Yvonne are extremely familiar with paid content writing just as I am.
    Way back when we were paid to write for a particular company, there was a system of stars and a singular trophy, generally a heart, that we all looked for and they came from the person who owned whatever site we wrote on. The more stars up to 5 we were given as writers (kinda like reputation points) the more we could earn per article and if the owner decided to throw a trophy on us we were paid even more.
    Note: We didn’t get paid by the owner of the site but the promotion company who the owner signed with.
    That said, if we were 5 star writers with a heart (we all were) the level of proficiency couldn’t falter or we could be demoted and earn less.

What I’m getting at is most of the sites had it’s own standard trophies and points that comes with any normal forum type of site but they didn’t matter to any of the paid writers and I dare say very few of the unpaid writers or at least, I never thought so.
    The site points and trophies didn’t make any difference in our pay no matter how many points or trophies we accrued which is probably why I personally do not see the bells and whistles of a forum to be that important. I simply quit paying attention to them because they didn’t matter.

Now, just because I do not care about them doesn’t mean that I do not think anyone should care. If it’s somehow an ego boost then so be it because everyone has a need of some sort to raise their moral even if it’s a point on a conversation forum or a like on a message.

For me, likes are fine but a smile will do it for me every time or that hundredth rep when I’m tossing around plates whichever comes first.
    I generally do not even notice them but if I don’t see a trophy, so what. I come here for the people, good conversation (hopefully) and friendship which are indeed the best kinds of trophies there are.
    So far as the points go, I didn’t even notice until today where they are and they’re right under my name. Habit I guess.

Anyone need some points? I have around 380 or so and I’m selling ‘em for 50 cents each or 4 for a dollar. Christmas is coming!

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's been a while since I have looked closely at the innards of the forum so I don't know, really, whether the birthday points are an annual thing or only the first one celebrated here.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I went to look, but I joined just after my birthday (been here 18 months.) I would think anyone who has been here for 2+ years could go look and see if they got trophy points every birthday.

And technically speaking, we only have one birth day.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I joined before my birthday in 2018, so if it's awarded annually I should have 4. I only have one that was awarded in 2019, so it is a mystery. :D

For people who don't care about this, we have certainly had a long discussion about it. :p

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

So 2018 got skipped???

And none of us cared until actual details were laid out, so now there's a problem to be solved. Before, we were arguing concepts.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I suppose it depends on the variables that calculate eligibility for the "trophy." (Like do you have to be a member X number of months, blah, blah.)

I joined in January 2018, my birthday was in April... no trophy. Then in 2019 I did get the birthday trophy, but none since. That's the entirety of my data points.

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Where are you finding a list of points you have gained? All I found was the schedule of how many and what for. I figured mine out by using the schedule and the 193 was right on as of Aug 31. The only way it would come to 193 was if two birthdays were awarded. The admin has full control over what they are given for and how many points are given and also they can add points for special things like Ken did for using the SOC style format and having a .6 to 1 post to likes ratio. The only thing I can think of is if maybe the birthday feature quit working.

Since it seems the majority here don't pay attention to this silly juvenile game, or so they say, then why not just dispense with the entire points system, simply turn it off and since only members can post, why not just have the members name and the date they joined and show # of post and # of likes and leave it at that? Dispense with the membership status. That seems more conducive to a seniors-only forum in my opinion. Maybe time to dispense with the wedgies, pigtail pulling, and training bra-snapping.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Good lord girl, you got shafted right from the get-go. :mad: I joined Aug 31 and got a 10 point reward for my birthday two months later :p Seriously where are you finding your personal awards? I have never found that page.

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Where do you look, John? I am still trying to find that page.

13. John Brunner

I went to my profile. The #points is hot-linked to a list of what they are for, each event’s value, etc

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've been a SOC puppet for years, when do I get to be a SOC Veteran?

[​IMG]

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, John! I see I have received only one birthday trophy on the first one. Not sure what I was missing when I figured it out the hard way. Looks like Beth is the only one getting shafted on her first birthday, but since it was given to her the next year, it makes sense that the birthday award is a one-time thing although nowhere does the trophies guide say that. Thanks for your help @John Brunner and @Beth Gallagher in getting this mystery resolved. I gotta get 728 more likes or wait till August 31 before I can get that coveted VETERANS status. Maybe I will become a spammer and make 2296 posts in the next 23 days. That would be 99.86 posts per day, but it would destroy my likes-to-post ratio but I would be able to run with the big dogs before Christmas.

Actually I see reaching 5000 likes awards 45 points.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.