What Is The Shortest Job You've Ever Had?

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Mary Robi, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not sure what made me think of this today, but which has happened more to you - you quit, or you were fired ? I only remember being fired twice in my life time. Unsure about the first one. I do know I quit many jobs, even when I was young raising two kids on my own. Some I quit because I knew things they were doing were illegal.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've never been fired. I think that if I were unable to perform a job, I'd be aware of it and I would leave before being fired.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It was so short I cannot remember! Probably Park Ranger and my first job was cleaning a restroom where some sicko's had thrown feces all over the walls and urinated all over everything. I open the door, gagged and added my breakfast to the mess, returned to the office, and gave them their shirt back. I told them they needed to be more detailed when they asked if an applicant could clean toilets. That mess required a hazardous suit and mask.

5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't remember the shortest.

6. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Stocking shelves at a Walgreens or something like it. It was a temp assignment. Awful supervisor. Boring, late night. I quit the second night.

7. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Power brake operator, hated the job as soon as I started, when lunch rolled around I took the lunch break and never want back so 4 hours which they still owe me for.
    There were other jobs where I got hired yet never showed up, back then jobs were easy to find not like today.

8. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Director of Software Development: It only lasted one week when I found out the company president misrepresented the job to me and and was misrepresenting the company's products to its customers. It took me three days to figure this out and 3 more to convince the the man that it was in his best interests to pay me for my time and expenses,.

Jessica Morgan and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Laura Jones

Laura Jones Well-Known Member
    Registered

One week, a terrible supervisor and gossiping co-worker’s convinced me of the necessity of a speedy exit. It was one of my better decisions….

10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Port Everglades ,Florida,

Changing the brake shoes on a merchant fishing vassal Star Kist. I lasted 4 hours. First I almost passed out dragging a " bastard file; yes their is such a thing' across the sand flea shipyard, then a huge Greek with a sledge hammer was striking the pin I was holding. I was tending bar in Ft. Lauderdale and the foreman came in and I ask if they had opening, so he thought it would be fun to hire a woman I guess. My friend and I moved there with our 6 kids, what a mistake. She was tending bar. I didn't like the job. Back to Atlanta we both went.

11. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I once applied for a weekend cleaning job in an arts and craft centre, the interview went well and I got the job, but silly me didn't realise it was an evening job but I gave it a go anyway as I needed extra cash, so I started the job and I was the only person in the building which felt a bit eerie, then the second weekend there I was chatting to someone who worked in the building a few yards away, it turned out that I was actually working next to a funeral parlour, I didn't stay long after that! (⁠◔⁠‿⁠◔⁠)

12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL,Jessica, that's one I never had, thank goodness.

Jessica Morgan likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If the director of the funeral parlour went next door and took origami classes, think of how many more people the cemetery could hold.

14. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's just awful, LOL.

John Brunner and Jessica Morgan like this.
  15. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm scared of my own shadow as it is so my imagination was going crazy! (⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.