What Is The Shortest Job You've Ever Had?

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Mary Robi, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Haha! (⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Gear can be a good thing, keeps us out of trouble. I still wouldn't want to work in a funeral home, but that's because I've never had to.

Jessica Morgan likes this.
  3. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Funeral home-related pranks with coffins was great fun when I was in HS. All you needed was an old hearse, coffin and a little makeup. Then go cruise the nearest drive-in and watch the hilarity start.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a friend in high school who owned an old hearse and drove it to school. It was handy for taking a gang of us and a couple of surf boards to the beach.

5. Jessica Morgan

Registered

Now I know why the cleaners don't stay too long at the arts and craft centre (⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Jessica Morgan

Registered

This sounds so American, I'd love to go to a drive-in (⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)

7. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The drive-in was the place to go to when I was in HS. A good drive-in offered five things of great value to a teenager - tasty food (i.e., burger, fries and a coke),the opportunity to see and be seen, the chance to meet up with others, a chance to show off your ride and see what others were driving and, finally, the chance to act up a little (e.g., by popping someone out of a coffin in the back of a hearse). Drive-ins were also great jobs for some kids who could run out to a car holding a tray full of food. Those who couldn't had a very short job. After getting off work (4 different jobs in HS to pay for wheels), we'd often take off to make the rounds of various drive-ins, some of which were in other towns. .

Jessica Morgan and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

We went to the drive-in last year, it was fun just being there seeing the kids outside their parents' vehicles and the atmosphere of the large screen, snack bar and sitting in your own private place watching a movie.
    I also liked the drive-in burger joints with curb service like The Varsity in Atlanta, last visit there was 4 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    John West and Jessica Morgan like this.
  9. Jessica Morgan

Registered

The drive-in to me is like what I see in American high school movies, I would've loved to have grown up in America. I went to a comprehensive school, nothing like American high school, we didn't drive to school either as we were too young to drive so it was the bus or walk for me.

10. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I worked at a dry cleaners for a day. I thought I was going to be the person handing the clothes back to people. :D Instead, I had to help with the washing, cleaning stains, pressing, and bagging the clothes. It wasn't for me.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

My shortest job was cold calling people selling magazines. That job was a soul crusher. I lasted 2 evenings and never returned.

12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Friday night was for "cruising" in my town. I'd get a bunch of my friends, everyone would pitch in a quarter for gas (gas was only a quarter a gallon then but I drove a '55 Dodge Station wagon with a biiiig engine and it drank gas like an old sot). We'd cruise all the drive-in restaurants in town, checking out the "talent". Sometimes we'd go to the drive-in theater for the same reason. Much flirting would go on and sometimes a date for Saturday night would ensue.

Marie Mallery and John West like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

I know what you mean, I only lasted a few days selling Time Life Magazine in Atlanta.

Jane Carlson likes this.