What Is Your Favorite Restaurant, And Why?

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have 2 favorite restaurants. The first is King's Buffet in Somerset, KY. It's a Chinese restaurant with a huge buffet with a hundred different choices plus a grill where you can have ingredients of your choice grilled with any sauce (or no sauce) you like. Excellent food at a reasonable price.

The second I haven't been to since I moved, but it's in the tiny town of Columbia, KY. I'm not even sure what the real name of it was...everybody just called it the pool room. A "pool room" hamburger was the best and was available all the time. They had 1 special every day and the specials were mouth watering, pot roast with mashed potatoes and gravy, pork chops, catfish, etc. If for some reason you didn't like the special that day, the pool room hamburger was always a good second choice! Oh, and they had 3 pool tables that always had a wait time. On pot roast day there was always a wait for a seat at the counter too. The place was just a hole in the wall but was a goldmine.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I liked lots of restaurant chains about 15-20 years ago. But, like Cracker Barrel, they went under. Loved Big Boy. Arthur Treacher's...
    I went to Taco Bell a while back and it was awful. So was Burger King. I used to like the Whopper--only bad thing one might have said about it was it was too juicy. Now the meat is pressed and smoke flavoring added; not flame broiled. yuck

Jake Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Taco Bell was never great food, but it used to be better than it is now. Taco Bell food seems to be mostly all watery now.

Jake Smith likes this.
  4. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Having had jobs that took me and a generous expense account around the country and world, there have been a good number of favorite restaurants, many of which are now gone. Some of these are/were Cafe Budapest in Boston (gone), Mama Leone's in NYC (gone), Anthony's Pier 4 in Boston (gone), La Maison du Cygne in Brussels, Alioto's in San Fran (closed), Charley's Steak House in Orlando, Commander's Palace in New Orleans, etc.. Now long retired with no expense account and no business people to wine and dine, I like places like Jersey Mike's Subs and local diners & eateries.. For a top-flight birthday or anniversary dinner; however, there's only one place. It is a B&B that's open two days a week for dining reservations - Clamber Hill, food shown below.

[​IMG]

Their food is as good as the best from my expense account years. Cooked to absolute perfection, we try to go there at least one or twice a year. It's pricey, though.

Jenna Parnellson and Jake Smith like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you mean a local Cracker Barrel? The Cracker Barrel chain operates 663 stores in 45 states.

Jake Smith likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

When I lived in North Carolina, there was a Jersey Mikes at one of the pet stores that I was sent to while working for Blue Buffalo, and it was way better than Subway. Near another store, there was a Firehouse Subs (or something like that), neither of which we have around here.

John West and Jake Smith like this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Registered

Only one left in the entire state of Wisconsin.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

There are 55 in Texas; 3 of them within 10 miles of here. :D (None of them are my "favorite restaurant.")

Jake Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

Welllll Ken was saying his favorite chain restaurants. Sadly even the one Cracker Barrel is making cut backs to it's menu. My favorite was deep fried chicken livers--no longer on the menu. But I really like their cat fish dinner.

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We like their breakfasts, but haven't been there in a while.

John West and Jake Smith like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hah. I told my husband that all the Taco Bell menu items are just the same ingredients in different shapes.

Jake Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

We only have one Cracker Barrel in Maine, but it's fairly new.

Jake Smith likes this.