What, Really, Does A Dying Person Think Of?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Michelle Keiser, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That’s a rather tricky question because no matter what the answer might be, there can always be a twist that can be added making regret the focal point.

Still, I will conclude that the moral is along the lines of living one’s own dreams because therein lays some satisfaction in knowing that whether or not a goal has been met, you still followed your dreams and not someone else’s.

OR……
    https://youtube.com/shorts/aFQconqmpAg?feature=share

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  2. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Bobby, I came to a similar conclusion. For me, the deathbed story is all about trust. Who do you trust to make your difficult choices? In my opinion, Ivan should have become the artist. He should have married Alina. Of course, he should listen to the advice of trustworthy sources, weigh the pros and cons, and then decide what his heart and mind were telling him to do. Each choice he made was an act of self-definition. That’s what I think the moral of the story is.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Humana insurance has a program called “My Directives”, and I think that anyone can use it from the my directives website. You can put down any medical information as well as things that would go in a will, and then your family has something to go on if/when you die.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

When my oldest daughter needs to make a choice that is difficult for her, she actually flips a coin. Has for years. It works for her. Not sure if it has been better or worse for her than if she struggled with choices like I do.:confused:

John Houlihan and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Mary, I think flipping a coin and trusting a higher power is okay because whatever works for anybody is fine in my opinion. I would use the flip-coin strategy if I were at an impasse and I have used it or the equivalent in the past.

What works best for me now is to write down all the pros and cons. Typically, one side has a lot more votes than the other side. The quantity and quality of one side usually is all I need to make my final choice. It works for me and I haven't had to flip a coin in a long time.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've done that. The greater benefit for me was to just clear the clutter in my head by writing the stuff down.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish knew for sure what he was thinking on 7-18-23 when laid upon his fathers grave and shoved a gun in his mouth and blew himself away. I could speculate knowing what I do, but in honor of his memory will not
    make private things public. My ex son in law was the one everyone liked, a workaholic but devoted father and grandfather.
    Needless to say we all are devastated, even my daughter took it very hard as they still had a warm and caring relationship all these years later.
    Let me say this- if your in a dark place and have dark secrets to hide ,do not think to yourself that suicide is the answer. Because when you take your own life for whatever reason, you may have solved your issue ,but those left behind suffer everyday for the rest of their life.
    And unlike yours, ours is a slow death.
    RIP DWF:(

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep, thanks to my hubs committing suicide 51 years ago, I still deal with problems over his selfishness. I often wonder what my life would have been like, had he not had hidden mental issues that no one suspected and committed such a horrible deed. Very sorry you and family have to deal with such. Talking about it is healthy. I couldn't for 45 years or so and that wasn't healthy.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is heartbreaking, @Hedi Mitchell ; sending hugs and prayers for you and your family, for God’s comfort as you grieve your loss. Suicide is definitely never a good way to solve any kind of problem.

Hedi Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, Heidi, that's so sad. There's no understanding why people do what they do.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Voluntary assisted dying laws in South Australia was passed by parliament this year , think it started in January .2023 .

So I wonder what’s racing through the minds of people as they touch the buttons on the computer to say YES I realise I’m going to die if I proceed .

about a month ago an 23 year old women who lived a life with ‘excruciating pain’.used the VAD to end her suffering after spending most of her life in hospital.

This was her final statement before making her decision to end her suffering ( it was in the internet / in TV for days before her final day )

I’ll no longer have any pain, I will no longer suffer with any of these issues, and I’ll finally be free of all the suffering that I have endured for so many years,”

https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/...g/voluntary+assisted+dying+in+south+australia

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    Hedi Mitchell and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I imagine it's a complete loss of hope and a complete loss of control that's take a lifetime to wear on you...or a terminal disease. One would think that if you've arrived at the place where you want to end your life, you should realize that you're freer than you've ever been. From that point forward, you have nothing to lose.

14. Mary Stetler

Registered

Unless hell is really a place.:eek:

15. Mary Stetler

Registered

So, I saw an ad for a Medium doing a show in our town and thought I would like to go to see it but it was sold out. She will also be in other towns around the state. Don't know where she is from.
    The tickets are $50. I used to like the series the Medium and Long Island Medium and John Edwards. Still thinking it would be interesting to see.
    Any thoughts? Anyone ever see or call a medium?