What To Do With The Extra Money?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Denise Evans, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I see nothing wrong with "high tech" stuff in a vehicle. Then again, I'm sort of a "high tech" person anyway. We love all of the "high tech" stuff our 2021 tells us. Of course, like using anything else today that is "high tech", like new tv, computer/printer or whatever, it all takes time and patience to learn.

In our old 2005 Durango, we had no rear bumper sensors and I could've backed up into anything and dented something or broke the plastic rear bumper. Luckily that never happened. And, to be able to make a iPhone call inside your vehicle, without actually holding/using your iPhone, is terrific. I connected all of this stuff up without any problems, just by going with WIFI in the vehicle. However, I know, none of this "high tech" stuff is for everyone, especially many seniors.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

However, it can be, and become, harder and harder to find parts for it. There are vehicle mechanics today that won't even touch a vehicle that old. IOW, there's both good and bad about "old" vs. "new/newer".

And, no matter what the year of the vehicle, the cost of repair, can be, and many times is, very high. Mechanics wages go up and so do the cost of parts.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My point was that the new technology can be expensive and complicated to fix or maintain. Anyone with half a brain can learn how to use gadgets; it's fixing them that's the problem.

4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't see anything wrong with high-tech, but for myself, I don't want it in my automobile, and it's not just the cost of maintenance, I just like an older, stock vehicle, as close as I can get to the ones I grew up with ;)

5. Denise Evans

Registered

I think I have half a brain, but can't sware to it, LOL, but the time I got in a Tesla that a neighbor owns, I said heck with this. It felt like I big cardboard box with a computer in it. Looked like a Fred Flintstone car except for the computer :D

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We will have to move on to newer vehicles eventually if we live long enough. But I keep thinking of thriller movies where the car vaults into the water off a bridge or whatever and the people have no way to open the windows to get out because the electronics is screwed.
    I would just roll the window down
    QUICKLY:eek:

7. Denise Evans

Registered

A lot to be said for "manual", I've always driven a stick-shift too ;) Never an automatic ;)

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

That's why we bought the Service Plans we did. Of course, I know not everyone can afford those Service Plans, but my wife required them to save us money.

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You mean the screen you seen? That is use for backing up (Backup Camera in rear) and UConnect stuff (like iPhone and external CD Player.
    Weird, but our vehicle battery is located under the front passengers seat, along with a good size wiring harness. What the wiring harness is for, I have no idea. All of our sensors are located on the steering wheel. John Banner knows all about the "high tech" stuff in todays vehicles.

10. Denise Evans

Registered

That's another reason, I am satisfied with what I can afford, and you are right not everyone can afford as much as others can.

John Nopales and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, Mary, a person can buy a "window breaker" in case something like that happens. We are going to get one.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yup. Have one. It's somewhere in a car.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

"It's somewhere in the car"???? If needed in an emergency............

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If it helps at all I’m glad, Denise. Ask lots of questions about the apartments. :)

John Nopales and Denise Evans like this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

Will do ;)

John Nopales and Vada Bloom like this.