What To Do With The Extra Money?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Denise Evans, Jan 18, 2024.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hope we're not wandering too far afield here in Denise's thread. It's sort of car related.

There are several different styles of car fire extinguishers these days. Even "professional" (Car & Driver, etc) reviews avoid the issue of storing the extinguisher in a car during the summer heat.

Here is the free radical potassium ion one that comes in the road flare format. They never expire. These product demonstration videos are from 30 seconds to 2 minutes long:

I thought of getting a few of those to carry with me, in addition to the regular extinguisher.

Amazon carries Halon extinguishers ($$$) that are in the regular fire extinguisher format.

The only issue with the ones mounted under the hood is that you can't put someone else's fire out with it. But as you inferred, if your car is on fire, you might not be able to even get to your own hand-held extinguisher.

Here is an extract of an email I received from H3R (manufacturer of Halon and dry chemical extinguishers) in response to my inquiry regarding storing extinguishers in cars. They confirm my concerns:

Furthermore, all UL listed fire extinguishers direct the user to be installed, inspected and maintained in accordance with NFPA code 10. NFPA 10 calls for extinguishers to be inspected monthly (or more often if circumstances dictate) to make sure they are properly charged. Following these requirements should give you a measure of comfort that the extinguisher will work when it needs to. However, it is important to note that regular exposure to temperatures of above 120° F may cause premature wear on the rubber seals, causing them to fail prematurely, resulting in a loss of pressure. NFPA No. 10 stipulates that extinguishers exposed to temperatures above 120° F should be subjected to an annual teardown. Essentially, this is having the 6 year maintenance done annually.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As to what to do with extra money, you could pass it on to a favorite charity or church/synagogue/mosque, or you could just buy silver, gold or platinum with it.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Or, you could just have some fun spending it on whatever you do for fun.

4. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just don't know what you guys are talking about. Who ever heard of extra money? :D

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

No such thing [​IMG]

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I think most everyone, that is, those that do save, have extra money. Then there are those that don't due to health reasons or other things.