1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Type Of White Vinegar Do You Use For A Salad Dressing?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by John Brunner, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Don Alaska recommended a good white wine vinegar and when I worked with the Greeks they lean more toward the red and one Greek chef used a combination of the two, There’s a few vinegars out there that even specify which grape is being used so that’s something you’d have to think about too.
    That said, just for fun I’d split the 1/4 cup with a Balsamic vinegar since it’s a little more regional and offers a more balanced body.

Just an addition: The recipe also calls for 1 cup of oil to 1/4 cup of the vinegar but I’d also reduce the oil by a tablespoon or so and replace it with Kalamata olive oil and also add a couple of fine diced Kalamata olives to the recipe.

Dern…..I could eat Kalamata olives with a big slice of Feta cheese right now!

John Brunner and Jake Smith like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a Gyro Platter for lunch on Monday with a Greek salad that had big cubes of Feta cheese. That's what got me thinking about this again. I always have a few jars of Kalamata olives on hand for salads...they go great with pepperoncinis and blue cheese. I always have a nice balsamic on hand (as nice as I can afford), but have never seen a Kalamata oil.

I've not wandered down this aisle of the Foodie world before...maybe I'll hit that specialty oil shop in Charlottesville next time I'm in town. Of course, fresh cucumber season is behind us, which is what got me on the Greek Salad kick in the first place.

So on a more general level: have you ever made salad dressings with "regular" white vinegar?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sure.
    Gallons…..It just depends on what I want the end result to be. If I want less carry-over in taste so the other ingredients come out more, I have no problem with it.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually use red wine vinegar or cider vinegar for salad dressing.