What Was Your Favorite Amusement Park Ride

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Tony Page, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As a child, my only experiences were in small carnivals, so I wasn't exposed to any really exciting ones. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan has its own State Fair and we did go to that each time it was on, and they had larger rides. However, the State Fair had so much other stuff that I don't remember bothering with any of the rides.

As an adult, I took my son to Disneyland dozens of times because we usually got in free, and we lived in Anaheim. When he was seven or eight, he loved the ride where they played "It's a Small World" over and over again until it drove me insane, and then they kept playing it. I don't remember what the name of that ride was, but it was a very gentle boat ride, kind of like the Pirates of the Caribbean, which was his second favorite ride, but it ended with a sudden drop-off and water splashing. Well, he'd get off of that ride and get right in the back of the line to ride it again.

When he was older, he rode the other rides, but he usually rode those alone, and I don't remember the names of them. I know that he stood in line for more than four hours to get on one ride that was premiering. I can't remember the name, but it was new to Disneyland so everyone wanted to go on it, except me.

When we went to Magic Mountain, before Six Flags bought it, there were some more hardcore rides, and I got sick going on some of them with him, especially the ones that went in circles rapidly. I didn't throw up in public, thankfully, but I had to pull over a couple of times on the way home.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Bobby Cole and Tony Page like this.
  2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe "it's a small world" is the name of the ride and it drove me crazy too, my grandkids want to go on over and over. The spinning or dropping rides I can't do. Rides like "Disney's Soaring" is my speed.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The last time I was on an amusement park ride I was probably 9 years old. So my favorite is a little weird I guess. It was called the Laff-in-the-Dark, at a park in Ohio. I guess they call them Dark Rides now (EXAMPLE).

I finally found a picture of it today. The park was demolished almost 50 years ago.

[​IMG]

Out front was Beulah, the Laughing lady. She was dressed like a bag lady back then, no makeup and messy hair. She scared you more than the ride, mainly because she was inside a cage and as a kid you wondered why she was kept in a cage. o_O Beulah is currently at the Wm. McKinley Presidential Library and Museum in Canton, Ohio.

Tony Page likes this.
  4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a new ride for me I've never heard of it, was it supposed to be scary inside? Like with bats, or more scary puppets.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes Tony, it was supposed to be scary. You rode in a little cart all in the dark, and scary things popped out at you. Similar to my link, only not as sophisticated as they are today.

Tony Page likes this.