What Was Your Last Cause Of Buyers Remorse?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Mary Stetler, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for the Amazon link. I think Kohl's carries OXO too...or is it Target? I'll have to look into that brand. It's about time to find a new pan since my ceramic pan got the boot!

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although I haven't given up hope, I ordered a 27" monitor to use as a second monitor for my Mac Mini, and so far I haven't been able to get it to work. It's not the fault of the monitor because it works fine when it's the only monitor but, so far, when I have two monitors attached to the Mac Mini, neither of them will display. I watched a video on adding a second monitor to a Mac Mini, but it recommended just what I had done, only it didn't work for me. I am giving it a break for now before I get angry and break something. I like the monitor I have but wanted to add a second one so that I don't have to squint at a split screen.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Make surre the wire from unit is visublw otherwuse. They know ut fake

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My last buyer's remorse was a pair of sherpa-lined boots I ordered, then immediately regretted. Since we only have 2 days of winter in Houston plus I never wear boots, I have no idea what possessed me. Anyway, they wouldn't allow me to cancel the order (claiming it was already "in process" :rolleyes::rolleyes:) but after a couple of days I checked status and saw that my order had changed to "backorder." I was then able to cancel it so wheeew.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

A new security wallet case for my cell phone that didn't fit as advertised. When I ask for the return address it was in Australia and shipping was more than the cost of the case. It was shipped to me from California. It was a scam in my opinion as their return policy nowhere stated that returns were to China. Since they advertised return shipping to be paid by the customer, my credit card company denied my request for a refund. It was made in China and the email from the company was worded the same as one from China I received on another scam.

I added it to the charity donation box. Not sure who could use it, but not my problem anymore. I will take a $47 deduction on my state taxes that will pencil out to about a .5-cent refund. Not sure how I will spend that 1/2-cent refund, but you can bet your sweet tattooed patoot that it will be on something with paid return shipping. :D

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Did you buy it off of EBay? I've had that happen. What really sucks is that there's a legacy 1960s UN initiative to help "struggling economies," and our postal service subsidizes shipping for China. It costs China less to ship an item to North Carolina than it costs an American business in New York to ship that same item to that same NC address...and China gets a shield from processing returns because "You Pay [Overseas] Freight."

Al Amoling and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No! I left eBay years ago. It was becoming a scammer's paradise and eBay was catering to them. Sadly Amazon is also allowing shady dealers to thrive. Friends tell me the worst is Facebook which is loaded with China-made junk and requires you to pay return shipping. All their good reviews are from paid reviewers and they delete any negative reviews.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That sucks.

Could you post a link to that product's page so I can see what to look out for? I pay attention to the EBay wording before my rare purchases there, but never gave a second thought to Amazon pulling this crap.

9. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i hung mine in a tree branch..they make a nice clanging noise like a cow bell

Mary Stetler and Jane Carlson like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

When drum lights became popular, I bought a combination light fixture/enclosed ceiling fan for the bedroom. Similar to the picture below, only with dark brown trim instead of nickel. I'm embarrassed to say how much it cost.
    upload_2022-10-31_12-34-11.png
    It stood out like a sore thumb in a room with white ceiling and white painted woodwork. Small bulbs and the sepia tone shade kept it from giving off enough light. It was dimmable so there was a long delay in coming on which was annoying. I don't like ceiling fans anyway. What was I thinking? Hated it from day 1.

Worse part is it weighed about 40 pounds and took two stepladders and a rope to hoist it up to the ceiling to install (and take down). Kept it about a year just because I felt obligated. It went to the Goodwill Thrift Store.

11. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Namaste Nancy,

You said that you kept the unwanted fixture for a year before finally sending it to Goodwill. Your post reminds me of a Sufi story about buyer’s remorse. I think you will like it. The central character of the story is a wise and foolish character called Mulla Nasruddin. Here is the story:

Mulla Nasruddin went to India on vacation and saw a peddler selling fruit. He bought a bunch of the most beautiful red fruit and went off to eat it since he was very hungry. He began eating the fruit and started crying. But he continued to eat the red fruit. After a while, a passerby saw him eating and crying.

The passerby said to the Mulla, “What are you doing?”
    The Mulla answered, “I am eating the fruit that I bought from a peddler.”
    The passerby replied, “You fool! Your are not eating fruit. You are eating the hottest red pepper in India.”
    To which the Mulla said, “You don’t understand. I am not eating fruit. I am eating my money.”

Nancy, the story is a great example of a Sufi teaching story. The moral of the story is not stated directly but left up to the reader. It is a very effective way to teach.

Nancy Hart likes this.