What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Had fried peas last night. Dunno know 'bout tonight.

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Will do, Ruby... in fact, right now. The gratin was *amazing.* One of those sauces that's always called a "delicate" sauce and it was very delicious. Hubby loved it, too... *brussels sprouts!!* which is kind of amazing in itself. :D

The rice... well, just regular sticky rice, nothing special, but I didn't expect it to be.

The Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken had a great flavor but I had chosen tenderloins instead of the skinless boneless chicken breast that the recipe called for. It was difficult to adjust time and temp for the tenderloins, so I suspect that it would have turned out nicer if I'd used the chicken breasts instead. I will next time. :) They just turned out more dry and chewy than we like our chicken, but on the whole not a big deal... I'm glad I know how to improve it.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Mari North

Registered

I am forever looking for new and exciting side dishes, Ike. This sounds like something we'd like here. Is this done with a sauce of some kind? I've made peas with various white sauces but they didn't get fried then.

Or just as it sounds, and "straight up" fried peas? In butter? Oil? Do I ask too many questions? :p I just love cooking and trying new recipes... it's been a passion for a very long time!

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Ike Willis

Registered

Well, I just drained a can of peas, rinsed off whatever salt and additives might be on them, dumped 'em in a non stick fry pan, added butter, black pepper and shredded cheese, then fried everything until the cheese was melted. Slid it all out on a plate, added ketchup and ate.
    It's one of those things you can dress up anyway you want. Add a few cut up boiled potato's, onion, carrots etc. I invented it myself, but you can use it if you want.:D

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Mari North

Registered

Cheese! Yum... this sounds really nice, Ike. Carrots and potatoes, oh yeah! Thank you for sharing it and for granting me a "usage license." :) I will be taking you up on that... sometimes this would be exactly perfect for a lighter supper. I'm seeing it maybe served over toast, too... ummm! Ever try it that way? The possibilities are endless.

Ruby Begonia and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Ike Willis

Registered

No, never had it on toast, but used rice in it and that worked ok too.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I eat peas with honey,
    I've done it all my life.
    It does taste kind of funny,
    but it keeps them on my knife.

8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I made pumpkin soup this morning from a pumpkin we found lying around here. I cut it up roasted it for an hour with some red sweet peppers added celery and onions, spiced it up with coriander, cumin and chilli, slow cooked it for two hours, and then blended it. We had it for lunch, it was delicious.

[​IMG]

9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page , that looks and sounds fabulous!

Long ago, I made a recipe for a pumpkin soup for my then little grandsons, served in small, hollowed out pumpkins. It was pretty much tasteless, which is probably why those picky little dudes liked it.

Anyway, yours has bold-flavored ingredients which is just what mild pumpkin needs, so I've learned. Next time I find a pumpkin lying around here, I'm going to use your recipe.

Terry Page likes this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Mari, now I have just got to try a Brussels gratin next week!

To comment on your chicken, I've made a very similar dish but using chicken thighs, and not skinless because the skin is browned in a skillet first. Then, the mixture of soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, a bit of rice vinegar and a bit of ground ginger is poured over them to bake until done. I made this without the ginger, too. So, maybe the thighs will work for you.

11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm having fruit again tonight. I've got a couple of apples, a small bunch of bananas, and several oranges. I could have one of each or make a small fruit salad. I pigged out this morning with an egg and two sausage biscuits. I'll have a cup of black coffee with the fruit and think about a T-bone steak or maybe a chicKen pot pie.

Diane Lane and Ruby Begonia like this.
  12. Amy Read

Amy Read Veteran Member
    Registered

For our dinner tonight I will cook beef short ribs soup with onion, enoki mushrooms, glass noodles, onion leeks, salt and pepper to taste. One of my family's favorite kind of soup.

Diane Lane and Ruby Begonia like this.
  13. Mari North

Registered

Ah, that sounds delicious, Ruby! Ya know, I've been seeing a lot of recipes lately that use the thighs when in the past I mostly saw the breast meat being used... I really need to buy some of those and give it a try. I like the taste of white meat, but in many dishes, it gets much too dried out and stringy to be truly enjoyable.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I do remember why I haven't been using thighs... I did some recipes with it in the past where the meat didn't get done close to the bone and it grossed me out. I assume (assumptions have gotten me into soooo much trouble in the past! :confused: ) that thighs are also sold boneless? I just head for the chicken breast and turkey breast section of the supermarket and never really took any time to check for options... when I did need to buy thighs years ago, they were always the bone-in.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Mari, yes thighs can be bought boneless and skinless, or boneless but with the skin on. I know what you mean about the meat close to the bone!

I too, used to always go for the breast meat but you are so right, that it does get dried out quickly.

Mari North likes this.
  15. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter is making chicken wings with barbq sauce and home made potatoe salad. She makes her barbq sauce from scratch and it is really good. She is a wonderful cook and does the majority of the cooking.