What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, everything sounds yummy! I baked pollack last night with lemon butter sauce and rice, so I'm having the leftovers tonight, with a nice romaine salad on the side. I don't have much in the way of salad fixings, so it's just going to be lettuce with tomato and I'll probably add some shredded cheese on top, with my usual olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Tonight I had Chicken & Mushroom crispbakes (patties)..( wheat free/gluten and dairy free)...sounds horrible doesn't it?...nope, they are delicious..:D...and a side serving of carrot and swede mash!!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I pulled a container of lentil soup from the freezer, ate it for lunch and supper too. Enough, already.

Sunday I made another pot roast. For some reason my grandson can't get enough of it. Inspired by a recipe in the Coffee Shop thread, I put some coffee crystals in the rub. It was good.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I took some ground beef and sausage from the freezer to make meatloaf. I'm not sure if I'll make it today or tomorrow.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Ah, my favorite comfort food... meatloaf. I can't think of a single meatloaf recipe I've ever "met" that I didn't like. I even make meatloaf "cupcakes" once in a while now. :) Sometimes with mashed potato "frosting."

For many years, I thought my family recipe for it would be all I'd ever use. And I have to say that it's still the best ever... but I've tried so many different recipes for it that each one is unique.

What's your favorite topping? Mine is a mixture of ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.

Ruby Begonia and Diane Lane like this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

That's interesting, @Mari North, I've never heard of meatloaf cupcakes. I think I'm going to have to try that. Do you use a regular muffin tin, or something different/larger? I also use a ketchup, mustard and brown sugar mixture, and I don't use a recipe, just make it to taste. I like the idea of topping them with mashed potatoes, one pan meals are a favorite of mine.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've heard of them, just never tried them but I might. Of course mine would use ground turkey and the topping wouldnt be mashed potatoes but mashed cauliflower or sweet potato or maybe turnips. On second thought, doesn't sound as good as the original, lol.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Ruby Begonia likes this.
  8. Mari North

Registered

Yes, a regular muffin tin, @Diane Lane . When I use 96% fat-free beef or 99% fat-free turkey breast, I spray the tin with Pam first. It's a lot easier to keep track of serving sizes this way. "Muffin Tin Meals" seem to be getting quite popular and I've even seen whole books for it... I've done Shepherd's Pie that way, too... or I guess it would technically be Cottage Pie.

The tops... I either put that ketchup/brown sugar mixture on for the last 20 minutes or so... or put mashed potatoes on top to look more like a cupcake. (Just for fun... no taste advantage) :) I saw a recipe recently where they piped the 'taters on to LOOK like frosting but I just plop it on there. :rolleyes: They also stuck a few peas and carrots (small dice frozen variety, cooked) into the potatoes to look even more like a festive cupcake. :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I wouldn't go to too much bother for myself but a smiley face for the 3 youngest grandsons would go over well, except probably only 1 of the 3 likes meatloaf. :)

10. Diane Lane

Registered

O.k., thanks, good to know. I've seen huge muffin pans, but all I have is the standard size and then miniature ones. I really like the idea of this, and it could be a good way to freeze up some portions for later, too. I'm going to mention it to my mom, because she likes to have small portions and not go overboard. I think she might want to try this out. I sometimes mash turnip in with my potatoes, so that could be a way to bump up the nutrition in them, as well.

11. Mari North

Registered

This is just the standard size, yes. And freezing for later is a great idea, yes. Very convenient. Let me find the recipe I was talking about... it's a diet one, I think, if I remember where I saw it, but the method is what's important. Can I post a link here? I'm not even sure. I'll try, and @Ken Anderson will have to scold me if it's not allowed. :D

http://www.hungry-girl.com/recipes/turkey-meatloaf-cupcakes

Oh! I see they ARE using muffin liners for this one... I always thought the meat would stick. I'll have to try it!

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I don't usually top mine with anything while it's cooking. I put ketchup on it as I eat it. Sometimes I do put strips of bacon on top.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

@Mari North inspired me to make a Brussels sprouts gratin, which I made yesterday and ate the whole thing by breakfast today. OMG. It was so good, gruyere cheese, cream and a mixture of parm. cheese and breadcrumbs over top. That's it, the final pig-out for at least 3 months! Back to vegetable soup and lean meats.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Sheldon Scott

Registered

We let the leftover meatloaf rest for a day or two. Wife wanted beans and cornbread. Coleslaw to go with it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Last night, a couple jelly sandwiches.

Diane Lane likes this.