What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Corie, sometimes I read your posts and I think what a very different life in many ways that you live from many of us in the west....shopping for fresh food every day is just one of them. It's a great learning curve, and I love to hear about everyone's different lifestyles particularly places I'm never likely to get the opportunity to visit.

I have to ask tho', if you don't keep 'stock' in your freezer, what do you keep in there? ...and also can I have the recipe for the Authentic Chinese soup you cook please.. :D

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Today I'm making vegetable-beef soup. I took a quart of tomatoes from the freezer and also found a quart of cabbage. Beef stew meat, okra potatoes, and onions, and maybe another veggie or two, bay leaf and other seasonings

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I made a bunch of spagetti the other day, so I'll be having that again tonight. I came across a recipe I want to try, but I need to check and see if I have all of the ingredients. If not, I'll be shopping soon, and will pick them up then. Here it is, in case anyone's interested. I like how mild it sounds. I tend to make chili a lot, and this seems like a nice soothing soup I can make when my stomach is acting up. Creamy White Bean Rosemary Soup

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Mari, about 5 hours on high and about 6 hours on low.
    I would not put a pork tenderloin in the crockpot though. It's SO very tender, I'd be afraid of it breaking up too much, although not sure. I use pork shoulder or ribs in the crock. The tenderloin, I bake in the oven after a nice rub with fresh garlic, S & P, and olive oil for about an hour. I tie the two tenderloins together. Today's pork needn't be cooked to death and is safe to eat even if a tiny bit pink. Hope this helps.:)

Mari North likes this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Registered

LOL Corie! I didn't realize you ate earlier, maybe time to clean my glasses, huh?

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Oh, Diane, this is meant for me! Two of my most favorite things; the herb rosemary of which I have a pot of in my kitchen window, and cannellini beans. In fact, just yesterday I made a kind of hummus but with the white beans, sesame tahini, fresh lemon juice, fresh garlic and a drizzle of olive oil, whizzed up in the processor. I'll be sure to make this soup, especially with the bacon garnish.

7. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Sure does help... and thank you very much. Ah, no tenderloin, okay... that's disappointing since that's what we'd probably like best. Oh, of course if I'd do it for a recipe where the meat gets shredded up anyhow, it might be sufficient.

Pink pork... it may be safe, but I'm not a pink meat kind of girl whether it's safe or not. :D See the "foods you don't like" thread for that confirmation. hehe Thank you for the crockpot tips... I should use mine a lot more often than I do.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  8. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Yesterday I picked up 2 ripe avocados on sale (Don't look, Holly, hide your eyes girl) that were begging to be turned into guacamole,

Coarsely smashed, but still chunky

Fresh Lime juice
    Diced fresh jalapeno (sometimes poblano)
    Diced red onion
    Chopped fresh cilantro
    Salt

This is so silly.... I knew a kid that liked to call guacamole, "whack-a-mole-ay"

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I love guacamole, Ruby. I add some tomato to mine. Nothing at all wrong with guacamole, it's all those tortilla chips that accompany it that's a problem.
    We're still eating the soup I made Tuesday and I made some deviled eggs too. We eat a Greek Yogurt almost every day.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I know what you mean about the chips @Sheldon Scott, these are the chips that are my downfall! tmp_1714-Multigrain10983633.jpg

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like tonight it will be Mexican food out. Yep, one margarita each, w/basket of chip and salsa and a 2 tacos/refried beans/Mexican rice dinner that wife and I will share. She will get some tortillas and use some of my beans for a couple of bean burritos and I will down the tacos!

12. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I took the last of our Christmas dinners from the freezer for today's meal. I had bacon and an egg just a few minutes ago. Going for more coffee now.

13. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Merry Christmas!

14. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I picked up some Dover sole today that was on sale, and I will saute' the filets in a bit of olive oil , then drizzle on butter-lemon sauce. Maybe some steamed broccoli or spinach, not sure yet.

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Sheldon Scott

Registered

6 ounce ribeye steak and an ear of corn, followed by greek yogurt. I'm sure I'll find something else to eat before the day's over.

Ruby Begonia likes this.