What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Ha, that's so funny @Sheldon Scott, because my supper choices were between making a chicken pot pie, or baking chicken thighs. I really prefer chicken thighs cooked on the grill, because they seem to come out so nice that way, but I'm also interested in new recipes for cooking them in the oven. Ree Drummond has a nice one with fennel, but I haven't laid my hands on fennel yet, so have put off making that recipe. Can you tell me how you cooked yours?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I just mixed some bread crumbs and some McCormick seasoning mix called rotisserie chicken that had been in the spice drawer for ages. I remember now why it hadn't been used; it was way to salty. I think the first ingredient in all of McCormick spice mixes is salt.
    Aside from the salt though it was good.

3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I adore a good chicken pot pie and would love to make one but dough and I don't get along.

Diane Lane and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well tonight I was going to make a Crab Bisque soup...but after my hospital appointment this afternoon we went for late lunch at the pub, and I had the carvery which consisted of medium rare sliced sirloin of beef and also sliced baked Ham, served with roast potatoes , baked onions..red cabbage. julienne carrots..and gravy...

I also had a slice of gluten free chocolate fudge cake with custard...yuuummmy.:D..but I was full to the brim afterwards ...so no Crab Bisque for me tonight, I'll save that for tomorrow

5. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I must say Holly, your pubs give you more food than ours around my area, anyway unless it's buffet style.

6. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Last night I opened up a can of Progesso lentil soup. That was enough after the burger and Wheat Thins I gobbled for lunch, as well as a cup of hot chocolate.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh yes we most pubs have quite a varied menu around here.. :)

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

@Ruby Begonia You could always make the bottom crustless and top it with mashed potatoes, or mashed cauliflower :).

@Holly Saunders Crab bisque sounds really tasty. I made a crab and corn chowder last year during Lent, I might have to try that again.

I made tuna cakes yesterday. I wanted them to be (somewhat) more nutritious, so I pulsed a can of veg-all and added it into the mixture. They came out yummy. I served them with sliced roma tomato with both ketchup and horseradish mustard on the side.

@Sheldon Scott Thanks, that sounds easy enough, and I have some bread crumbs leftover from the tuna cakes. I might try making those next week. I have lots of chicken pot pie and tuna cake leftovers, so I won't have to cook for a few days, other than breakfast.

9. Ruby Begonia

Registered

@Diane Lane , thanks for the good tip on mashed potatoes or cauliflower, I like them both. But... it's the crust on the chicken pot pie, top and bottom, that is my favorite part. :(

Sheldon Scott and Diane Lane like this.
  10. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, it's one of my favorite parts, too. What is it about the crust that you can't have, is it the gluten? I think there are other things you could use instead of regular flour, if that's the case.

And, I forgot to mention, i also served the tuna cakes with macaroni and cheese...nothing fancy, just the boxed stuff, but it was the perfect side dish.

11. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Diane, it's not that I can't eat the crust, I can't manage dough! I can't roll it, my hands destroy it and I am afraid of it. :eek:

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Registered

@Ruby Begonia Do you have arthritis? I have arthritis, tendinitis, tendinosis in thumbs, carpal tunnel syndrome, golf and tennis elbow, shoulder and neck issues (that's just upper body, ugh), so I only do things like this on my good days. I wear splints on my bad days, and will occasionally wear plastic/rubber/cloth gloves over those to keep them clean if I need to do something like this, cleaning or gardening on my off days. I usually buy the rolled crusts. I have had issues in the past with having difficulty stretching the rolled ones to fit my larger pie plate, but this time I hand stretched (hold it up at top and let gravity stretch it down, turn & do same other way) the bottom one and put it in the pan, then put the top crust on my marble pastry board and just gently rolled the rolling pin over it a few times. I then rolled the stretched out crust over the rolling pin and unrolled it over the filled crust. It really only took a few gentle rolls to stretch it out enough, and didn't hurt my hands at all. By the way, I've tried many splints, and the ones that help me the most are Rolyan neoprene thumb splints. They seem to give my entire hand/wrist support and compression, which helps with the pain and stiffness. https://www.healthproductsforyou.co...q50LKF45nAeckzuyzibMpAHf1Eh54nwoUwaAo158P8HAQ

13. Ruby Begonia

Registered

@Diane Lane - what great advice about letting the dough stretch by letting it hang! Hmmmm.

I do have some arthritis and in my hands too, but it's not bad in my hands, not like yours, you poor lady! I'll keep those splints in mind when it does get like yours, and I know it will...

I don't bake, either. I've tried to make pie crust; I just don't understand it. I would buy the crust and let it hang to enlarge if needed like you said. Now I'm going to look up recipes for filling! I might just do this. Thanks!! :)

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Tonight I had the crab and Lobster Bisque with thyme...and some wholemeal bread and butter... surprisingly verry filling, I feel like I've had a 3 course dinner.. !! :)Just what I needed after a very long day ..

15. Diane Lane

Registered

@Ruby Begonia Everyone's different, but the neoprene stretch braces just work for me. The others are uncomfortable, so when/if I need splints/braces for other joints I'll try this type first. I love letting the gravity do its thing, and it's cool to see it stretch out on its own that way. For some reason I thought of lemon meringue pie when I read your post. I might have to make one for Easter.

That sounds so delicious, @Holly Saunders. I can see why you were full. I like a nice thick soup in the winter, it definitely sticks to the bones.

I had my leftover beef tamales and refried beans again. I forgot I had the chicken thighs in the fridge, so I'll make those later for tonight's supper. I'll use breadcrumbs the way @Sheldon Scott did with his, and maybe some poultry seasoning, but nothing fancy. I have frozen veggies I can have with them, and will probably make a pot of rice so I will have enough for fried rice this week.

Holly Saunders and Ruby Begonia like this.