What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've woken up with real bad heartburn the past 3 nights, so tonight I'll have something bland:

-Salad
    -Chicken & gravy over rice
    -Peas
    -Fudgesicle

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've had heartburn with this latest chemo; so annoying. I take a Pepcid Complete tablet about half an hour before I go to bed and it really helps. ddd

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

Of all the bad timing, I had this issue several years ago when I lost my health insurance and took tons of Zantac right before the "It's gonna kill you" lawsuits hit. I've never taken this kind of stuff before. I gotta cut back coffee & chocolate. I might get some Pepcid, too. I got up last night and took a couple of Gaviscon (you chew them then take a glass of water.) Getting that water down was painful. I'm OK during the day.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Honestly, omeprazole is the most effective for reflux in my experience; usually if I take a Prylosec (or generic) daily it will prevent heartburn altogether. Lately I have been having "breakthrough" reflux due to the effects of chemo on my mucous membranes :rolleyes:, and I'm sure my recently revealed hiatal hernia. The Pepcid Complete works for when the heartburn has already started, but the Prylosec takes a couple of days to work (it's a PPI-- proton pump inhibitor.)

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

(I could not find a likely place to continue this conversation, so the mods can move it out of the supper thread if they like.)

I am so sorry to hear of what is being done to your system. What a friggin' Instant Nightmare. I see that 60% of people over 50 have a hiatal hernia to some extent. When it rains if pours.

I recall having the "acid reflux" conversation with my doctor in 2018. I had some serious issues back in 2017/2018 where I had myself convinced I had something real bad. I had horrible stomach issues. I was even coughing up a little blood. It went on for 8-9 months until I got my health insurance reinstated. Then I got all sorts of tests...MRI, CT Scan, ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy, just a whole bunch of stuff. The weird thing is I took the barium contrast drink just a few days before doing the colonoscopy cleansing, and a day or two after that I could tell that the problem had gone away. I still felt the residual aches of the long-term problems, but I knew the underlying issue had vanished.

The doctors throw the BS flag on my assertion that my system got cleaned out, but that's exactly what happened. As I told the gastroenterologist, you can't tell me to take probiotics to replace the good bacteria that got flushed while concurrently telling me that bad bacteria does not get flushed along with it. (It's a wonder I have not been banned from receiving medical care in this area. I'm sure I'm on their private DNR list.)

I don't know what's suddenly changed with me now. It's not a repeat of that other stuff. I do not have heartburn or upset when I'm sitting up. This is a wake up in the middle of the night with heartburn problem. I also have the same issue when I lay down for an afternoon nap. I started eating that cheesecake 3 days ago, but a slice of cheesecake at 9PM on Saturday should not cause heartburn during a 3PM Sunday afternoon nap. I can't just elevate the bed because I am not a back sleeper.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I think some of this stuff just goes along with aging...like the stomach valve not closing completely as it "used to do." I didn't even know I had the hiatal hernia until I had a CT scan at the Acute Care Facility for that pain in my side. Do you have a recliner you could sleep in for a night or two?

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

Yeh, I have the recliner I spend all my waking hours in.

I'm thinking I should not eat cookies or other high-fat stuff at all late at night. I'm gonna try that. It's weird, I'm fine until I've been asleep for a couple of hours. And there's no advice on "It only hurts when I lay down," just "It hurts more when I lay down."

I will survive. My & Gloria Gaynor.

Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Today it's grilled steaks, baked potatoes, and creamed spinach.

9. John Brunner

My crème fraîche is ready, so tonight's gonna be:

-salad
    -scallops grautin
    -rice
    -squash (maybe mix in with the rice, I haven't decided)
    -maybe a green
    -fudgesicle

I'll use 2 TB of the crème fraîche for this recipe and guess I'll freeze the other 32 TB.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Can you freeze creme fraiche?? Seems like it would separate.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I read a few sites. They all said that it does separate, and to "whisk it vigorously for several minutes" back together. They also said to defrost slowly in the fridge. None of them mentioned any degradation in quality or usability as long as you take the time to reconstitute it, but they all said to not refreeze.

I figured I'd spoon it into ice cube trays, freeze it, then put the cubes into vacuum seal bags and vacuum/seal it. My future plans are to stumble across it a year or so from now, realize that I've not had a need for it, and throw it out.

Ah, the cycle of cooking. Makes my heart go pitty-pat.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Lol leftover cob, baked potato ,piece of left over steak, then a few fishes, and a bit of shrimp. A conservative meal :)

13. John Brunner

So I was fine last night and this afternoon. I just gotta watch what I eat close to bedtime. I think it was a specific type of cookie that did it (something new I bought), but I need to cut them all out of my diet.

I picked up some meds at Walmart to have on hand just in case.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Husband has gone to the wake for our nephew, taking his mom. So they will get dinner before he takes her home. I whipped up some tuna salad and crackers for myself and will probably be having coconut custard pie later.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

Breaks my friggin' heart.