What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh Lordy! I worked with a guy that was hired to do relief when one of us regulars got over loaded. Every time I called for help, he said it would be a few minutes because he was watching Judge Judy. Finally some of us went together and bought him a VCR so he could record her and see the outcome when he got back home. Two hours, eh? That is some serious JJ watching.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  2. Dave Oy

Dave Oy Active Member
    Registered

Just had a nice soft white bread butty with smoked Wensleydale cheese and chilli pickled onions. Yum Yum.

Oh and yes - a glass of Talisker ;)

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That mac & cheese is as binding as her arbitration, son. Better get some fiber ;)

Faye Fox and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  4. John Brunner

-Salad
    -Fried chicken sandwiches on dinner rolls
    -Home fries
    -A yet-to-be-determined green veggie

Faye Fox and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  5. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In 87 I worked at a small shop in Pow Way Ca just outside San Diego. The guy that worked tuneup was from Michigan and every day at lunch he would go home and watch an hour of Perry Mason. I once ask him why he moved to California and he told me that he was working in a dealership and one winter he had to work on a pickup truck that was full of ice in the bed. He said it leaked cold water all over him the entire time he was under it and that was what made him move to California. :D

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

:(
    I don't go upstairs much but this is a two story house and if I point a fan to blow out the window at nite, leaving all the windows open downstairs, it cools things off substantially. Then when it is the same temperature outside as it is inside, in the morning, I close all the windows. It helps for most of the day.
    If you don't have an upstairs you could blow the window fan to the outside at nite with all the windows open and maybe see if it makes a difference.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

We had attic fans in the 50s and 60s and they used powerful electric motors and huge bladed fans. All that air it pulled straight up vented out the roof vents cooling the catch area of the attic. I wasn't kidding about the fan sucking a kid up if he or she was standing on under the fan when it kicked on and it did have a good thermostat you could set that allowed it to come on when needed or off not needed. The problem here the past few days the 100 degrees just lingers into the late late night. The air outside is still very hot so lifting windows wouldn't do much good until that temperature drops. We should see clouds soon and have it for a few days and that will help. This morning I got up at 6:30 and fed all the cats, I tossed out dry food out my bedroom window and I was able to get an accurate head count because both litters were eating. All 7 little ones are getting bigger and competing over the food, I even heard one growling. heh they are all cousins. Yesterday the father of these 3 inside was also eating the left over dry food and that is the first time he has come in close. He is a huge Gray Black mixed color that snuggie cat looks like. His shoulders are very wide when he is crouched up and eating. There are no dogs near me so they are doing well outside.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Thomas, this is certainly not my concern... but I think you should call animal control and have those poor kitties picked up. They can be neutered/spayed by the ASPCA or whatever agency so that they don't continue to reproduce. You are going to soon have a real problem on your hands if you allow them to keep multiplying. Kittens are cute, but full-grown cats are harder to find homes for.

9. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I'll try but this state is not so good about doing anything. The local city hall has a pen behind their building right on the flood control bayou and the dogs that are kept there are in the freezing cold from the wind off the water in winter time. I can hear them crying at night from where I live. The city was once caught shooting the dogs and were punished but I have no idea what was handed down from the state. I believe the have to keep them so many days and then put down. I do know a very long time ago they did have free services for the cats but I don't know who to call and will have to ask around. They don't pick them up but come to your home and do the work.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Dave Oy

Dave Oy Active Member
    Registered

A Scotch egg and a few slices of roast beef. Washed down with a pint of nice juicy hazy NEIPA :D

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Spaghetti with Italian sausage, salad, crusty bread.

Tony Page and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  12. John Brunner

-Salad
    -Fried chicken sandwiches on dinner rolls
    -Corn on the cob
    -Collard greens

Tony Page and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife tried her vinegar pepper pork chops in the slow cooker they came out tender and tasty. Sides of mashed potatoes, corn, and apple sauce.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Last night was our first mostly-from-the-garden supper. We had brats, which we didn't make, but we had grilled celery, fennel, and zucchini, with fresh broccoli, cucumbers and kohlrabi in dill sauce along with fresh tomatoes. Even the mustard for the brats was made from mustard flowers from the garden, and the dill for the dressing was grown here as well. It is about 2 weeks or a little more later than usual, but still satisfying when it happens the first time every year.

15. Dave Oy

Dave Oy Active Member
    Registered

Venison Haggis :cool::D