What's Wrong With These People?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My aunt who lived to be almost 100, always saying things like " never a beggar or a borrower be" , Sometimes it is cruel to be kind", " don't give your pearls to swine", I use to think she was mean and selfish, and I was wrong!

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

Barnam and Bailey were right, there's a sucker on every corner".
    I thin k it was one of them who said that? :confused:

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My dad was the farthest thing from selfish; he was very giving and would help anyone in need. He just would not ever ask anyone for anything as long as he was able to do for himself, and he instilled those values in us as well (though I did agree to having showers for my daughters!!) I remember that he was active in Shriners and people would come to our farm for help getting their children into Shriner's Hospital; we saw a lot of really sad little kids and their desperate parents.

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

The showers are ok ,imo. But men back then were very self sufficient. We were still a great nation then too, hope we can be again. Worked to build the greatest nation on earth.

5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Back in my day (oh, boy, here we go....), bridal showers were held at somebody's house and consisted of little sandwiches, cupcakes, and punch. There would be maybe 15 ladies in attendance and some crepe paper decorations hung around.

Now, the showers are as elaborate as the wedding reception and are held in halls with hundreds of attendees, both male and female. Really expensive presents are expected and there's lot of booze (and the behavior that goes with the booze).

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

My granddaughter's both have high hopes for these kinds of occasions. Ones getting married this week the other is planning on a new home and then a baby. Bless their heart they are both hard workers and married to hard working men. They will never know the wonderful nation I grew up in.

Lois Winters likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yep. In keeping with the thread topic, "what IS wrong with these people??" --so freakin' entitled. Our nieces have had showers, more showers, elaborate weddings (with the pathetic choreographed reception dance which seems to be required in the age of selfies), baby showers, gender-reveal parties, yadda, yadda. They exhaust me with their never-ending greed and narcissism.

Thankfully, our daughters are much lower key.

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno. Call me a little cynical but I’ve always thought that the whole exquisite ordeal of getting married and going on an expensive honeymoon was a little foolish.

Unless the couple is already rich, they should start out with something really simple and if there’s a reception, well, buy a keg or two and make the rest BYOB.
    For the honeymoon, go to the next county and rent a no tell motel room for a couple of days and let it go at that.

My reasoning is simple. Starting out big gives room for failure and a letdown. Starting out small and as each year goes by and the finances and marriage itself improves, so do the dinners, the trips and maybe even a renewing of vows or party attended by a crowd of friends and family that have accumulated over a few years.
    My proposition is akin to the gifts that each year is supposed to be represented by; ya know, 1st year paper, 2nd year wood until the diamond year of 50?

Even if the bride’s parents foot the bill, putting out a few thousand bucks makes the groom a psychological debtor and no marriage should have to start out in debt to anyone even if it’s only a mental thing.

Lois Winters and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Maybe they can just enjoy life the good old fashioned way, like we did growing up in America.

Maybe go skating? Oh wait no can't go skating, may get your brains blown out by some thug selling dope at the rink.
    How about drive in like we did when we lived in America, oh no not many of those left and who wants to see what they offer anyway, plus the fact it is not really all that CIVILIZED now.

Also, can't go meet up at the local burger joint now either. Don't even think about going to the park, thats a real bad idea.
    See what we left the youth is BS. And although we do have a couple losers we do have 12 very independent good grandkids . And hoping the other 2 will be saved from their bad choices soon.
    I remember sputnick and playing on the phone when I was young.
    I also remember the great times we had at the skating rinks, drive-ins, swimming holes and pools. Something the new kids on the block don't have.
    These kids all graduated from high school, one a couple years of college who now has her own real estate business . The other works and engaged to a hard-working young man who family is very well off from owning a garbage business he started off years ago working many long hours,
    Nothing wrong with wanting nice things or enjoying your labor. I feel very bad for the kids today and wish them all the best.
    Don't be mad at the young for whats happening.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We had a sort of fancy wedding in that I bought myself and my bridesmaids Indian Sahris. 6 yards each of material wrapped in a flattering way. Mine was white and the other girls- pastels. My veil cost $25 from Boston Store, on sale. Much more than my wedding dress. The reception was pricey because my father wanted it that way. He said when my parents got married, they almost had to do it in secret as he was Jewish and she was Catholic. Big No No. So he wanted to give my mother the reception she wanted but could not have.
    Later my new husband and I lived in a basement apartment in Milwaukee. Mud would flow into the bathroom when it rained. But we were so happy. We decorated it ourselves and loved it. When my father and mother came to visit, he said we were so happy we didn't realize how miserable we were.:)

Lois Winters and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hubby and I didn't have a wedding either, we just went to justice of the peace. But he married a ready made family.:D

Lois Winters and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't know about you all, but some of my nieces and nephews had a PARTY bus! After the big wedding and the photos were taken, the bride and groom and the rest of the wedding party got on a big Party Bus and drove around for 2-3 hours before heading to the reception for the big dinner. o_O In my opinion, that is being totally inconsiderate to the guests who have to sit that long at the reception building waiting on the wedding party to get there so we can eat!

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Krystal, thats what the wine is for.:p

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Don't get me started on the over-the-top prom stuff nowadays, too. Good grief.

Oh, and as far as "takes the cake" on weddings, one of my sister's in-laws had a gigantic extravaganza wedding in New Orleans and planned a honeymoon to Italy. They actually set up a website where people could DONATE for the honeymoon expenses. It was set up where you could choose to "gift" them with a night in the hotel ($400) or dinner at Le Ripoff Bistro for $200, etc. I sent them some bath towels and good riddance. :cool:

15. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The guests can get pretty snockered waiting on the wedding party! I often thought I should put a ham sandwich in my purse to hold me over till the meal....and to help absorb the alcohol. :D:D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022