What's Your Favorite Holiday?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I did that when we lived in northeastern Florida. One year, on Halloween evening, my wife help me put on my Vader costume. The front area of our apartment faced the driveway (entrance) to the apartment complex. It was kind of hard for me to see out of the helmet, so my wife looked out the front window for any Trick or Treaters that showed up. Wearing my $800 costume (on sale from $1,600 because we bought it a few months prior to Halloween) and all lights working (chest/belt) and $125 Walmart Lightsaber in hand, I was greeted by numerous kids. Wife didn't dress up. I loved the attention I got from the costume. Loved it!!

And, have to add the cost of alterations for the costume, because it was made for a larger person than I was. The boots and gloves cost as well.

I will (try) and put a picture of me in it here.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow! hope you had the theme song to play in the background.;)

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife found a handheld push-button/battery operated Darth Vader March thing at Staples that she bought me. I played that sometimes. We are both big Star Wars fans and, in 2015, if I remember right, we went to a Star Wars Convention at the Orlando, Florida Convention Center.

In 1977, when the first Star Wars movie came out, A New Hope, I was 27. The only Star Wars movie we don't have is Solo.

We might go to a Halloween Party this year, but it's hard to drive, even with only part of my Vader costume on.

The costume is as close to authentic as David Prowse wore. But, in the first movie, A New Hope, his helmet was a dull black and none of the chest-box lights worked or did the belt lights work. In the following two movies, the helmet was a very shiny black and all lights worked..........like mine do.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Christmas!!!!!We had a staircase and we hung socks there,there would be an orange a tiny box of chocolates and all kinds of lil toys.But it was everything leading up to Christmas,like when the Sears Christmas catalogue got to our door we all had to share one catalogue:eek: and circle a few things we wanted then the anticipation of wondering which ones Santa would bring.And also the letter to Santa,I didn't speak till I was 6 so my Santa letters were cut out pictures from a neighbors catalogue that they gave my Mother cause they had no kids.Those letters were all mailed.So all good memories.Yup...lovin' Christmas but I spend it alone now.

6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanksgiving. Haven't celebrated Christmas since 1984.

7. Julia Curtis

Registered

I don't know how to reply to that ,it doesn't seem like it warrants a"Like".

8. Julia Curtis

Registered

Some things I don't know how to reply.:(

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

The history of Christmas plus the commercial aspect is not something I like to celebrate but I do understand the joy it can bring to many.
    I have no problem whatsoever with you celebrating it though.

10. Julia Curtis

Registered

I do love the Christmas shows on the American channels to....but I do understand your point of view.:)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

I do too, must have seen most of the top ones a hundred times each.

12. Julia Curtis

Registered

You guys have Charlie Brown,How The Grinch Stole Christmas,and The Polar Express(I LOVE that one!)That's why I keep the American channels.:)

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

No we don't have the movies we watch them online. Where are you from Julia? BTW,I like your name, most women in my family have that name, either that or Marie or both.:cool:

14. Julia Curtis

Registered

New Brunswick,Canada,thank you Marie:)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Julia Curtis

Registered

Christmas for sure altho I will spend it by myself this year but I can do it,I'll see my Mother the day after New Year's.So I'll go to the gym as usual and watch some movies with air popped popcorn.It'll be weird but I will always love Christmas because I have such good memories of past ones.I have most of my outgoing cards ready to take to the post office but what warms my heart is when I get one back,I rarely do but when I open my mailbox and a card is there..... that's emotional for me because it means someone took the time and effort to send it and they were thinking of me when they were doing it.:)