What's Your Favorite Kind of Music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kevin Matthew, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Kevin Matthew

Kevin Matthew Veteran Member
    Registered

I've found as I've gotten older, that I'm listening to music my parents would have loved and listened to - Broadway and Big Band music. I'm ok with other kinds, but find myself listening to Big Band and Broadway whenever I get in my car (Hey, I spend a LOT of time driving in Los Angeles!)

What's your favorite kind of music?

Tony Page likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I still like the late 50's, 60's and early 70's rock music, for the most part, but I have come to enjoy folk music, bluegrass, and even some country music, none of which I listened to when I was younger.

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I like jazz, big band, show tunes and the classics when I can. People like Duke Elliington and Glenn Miller are favorites.

Tony Page and Kevin Matthew like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have pretty much listened to country music all of my life, although I do like most of the cross-over ones, and the rock-and-roll songs from the 50's and 60's.
    One of my favorite musicians was Duane Eddy, and I loved his "Twangy Guitar" sound. I had his Twangy Guitar and Velvet Strings" album, and I listened to that a lot when I was drawing or reading.
    Later, I liked Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, and my very favorite was Don Williams.
    I don' think that there are many of his songs that I do not enjoy, and I was excited to actually get to see Don singing in person when he did a concert here in Huntsville, and Robin got tickets for both of us to go.

Dwight Ward and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I seem to have a wide range of musical tastes. The singer-songwriters from the 1960s and 70s will always remain with me. I've been to see Leonard Cohen perform live twice, and I always like listening to performers like Carol King, James Taylor and Neil Young.

In my teens and early 20s I also developed a taste for jazz, which has never left me.

The music that means most to me I think is classical. There are certain pieces that move me, thrill me and please me whenever I hear them.

6. Kevin Matthew

Kevin Matthew Veteran Member
    Registered

That reminds me. I used to love Dan Fogelberg. I think I saw him perform 6 or 7 times... One time was just him in a small bar with just an acoustic guitar. It was amazing. Unfortunately, he died of prostate cancer a few years ago. RIP.

7. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a rock girl, all the way. Any kind really - classic, metal, punk, alternative, modern. I also really enjoy celtic music. I've also been finding a fusion of "symphonic rock", for lack of a better term, lately that I really enjoy.

I also listen to classical. Broadway is fun. Then there's good bluegrass. And I've actually been enjoying the country music on Nashville (the TV show).

8. Betty Johnstone

Betty Johnstone Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm a big fan of the oldies , specifically 60 and 70's rock and roll. With that being said, I also like some country, the blues and even a bit of classical (Bocelli or Brightman). I love music and will give most of it a try but I just cannot stand any type of rap music. Its just not for me.

9. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy a large variety of music also. I have really enjoyed Pharrell Williams, and his recent 'Happy' global hit song. I also admire him as a great musical talent and person. Beyond this, I enjoy Christian Contemporary, Jazz, Pop Music from the 70's and 80's, Classical and random songs I will sometimes develop on my Ukelele.

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I listen to all types of music but ..... my favorite is jazz, smooth jazz. The less singing the better. I love to hear it, sway to, wallow in it. I just love, love it, love it! :)

Susan Long likes this.
  11. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a recommendation for you, if you enjoy CDs. 'Smooth Jazz Hits' is a collection of great Jazz artists like Boney James. I know you can find it on Amazon.com. I have enjoyed that CD many, many days.

Von Jones likes this.
  12. John Kunday

John Kunday Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy instrumental jazz such as those of Antonio Carlos Jobim, Grover Wahington Jr, etc. tho those with vocals will do.

13. Lizel

Lizel Guest

I really enjoy
    • heavy-metal
    • rock
    • alternative
    music

14. John Kunday

John Kunday Veteran Member
    Registered

I am greatly surprised to know that there are seniors who dig heavy-metal and rock music cause I usually experience other people my age enjoying mellow and jazz music but if that's what you enjoy, lizel, that's great! I want to add, though, that I appreciate the music of bon jovi and other light rock groups such as scorpions, nazareth, eagles, zeppelin, etc. And back in my younger days I really enjoyed the music of the beatles.

15. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I really enjoy listening to rock music, particularly Kansas and Guns n Roses, but I also find some of the modern pop songs to be my guilty pleasures.