What's Your Internet Speed?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Gary Ridenour, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

An ISP is laying fiber optic cable throughout town for what is supposed to be 100% fiber optic connections here. While our Internet speed is not bad, it's not as reliable as we'd like. For reasons unknown, our 5G goes away from time to time, and, even when it says that we have an excellent connection, we can't connect to anything sometimes. Our provider was recently bought out by Spectrum, and things have gotten worse since then. When we call to complain about not having a connection, they blame the router and try to talk us into renting a router from them that's not nearly as well-rated as the one we have. Once they've finished laying the fiber optic cable, we'll probably be switching to that, at least unless my wife cheaps out on me.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

They put fiber optic here in Huntsville, and we now have Google Fiber, and it works really well. We (right now) have the ACP program, which takes $30 off the price of internet, and because Google also has a low-income internet program, right now our internet is actually free.
    The Affordable connectivity program is supposed to end next month, unless they extend it, but even so we would still be on Google’s lowest cost program.
    We have not had any loss of internet that I can think of , except when we lost power, so th fiber has been really reliable.

3. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We're getting 240Mbps, the speed of which xfinity doubled for free some time back (we don't pay for their highest tier). We use a cable, so there are no other issues at all. Pretty happy with it.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Frontier laid fiber optics in our neighborhood about a year ago. I keep getting "deals" from them and I was tempted to move away from Comcast after the last couple of outages. Unfortunately when I looked at Frontier reviews it appeared I'd be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. :(

5. Ken Anderson

speedtest.jpg

They hooked up our fiber optic today. This is a wireless connection within the house, though; it's not connected directly to the fiber optic. I need a longer cable for that. Yeah, I've ordered one.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    John Nopales and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

If Janet Mills were paying the bill, I'd credit her.

I'm still opposed to using government money on private businesses. I'll also note that if, indeed, the company installing fiber optics was funded by government money, that money was used to fund an out-of-state company to come in and compete with in-state companies, essentially putting them out of business rather than aiding more local companies in upgrading their infrastructure.

Last edited: May 15, 2024