Whats Your Motivation For Exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Marie Mallery, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't get me on loose skin, this past couple years and bad docs caused me fast weight loss of 20 lb.s. Not coming back too easy from that.

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Way ta go Marie, I love it when I ask a question and a doctor sort of gets this look on their face like "ok Denise, you been online again" LOL :) I love the videos (pubmed studies) on health I find on youtube, all that free info. Of course as you know, we have to weed it out some, and then it's not one size fits all right ;)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Speaking of exercise my BG is up so I just took a walk so I could lift weights, speaking of YouTube I had a ER doc bring it up. I was there for pulled muscle I think it was a couple years ago. She started telling me I need mammogram; colonoscopy and I told her I don't need all that radiation since I've done enough damage smoking to myself. She said I need to stay off YouTube, I answered maybe she needs to get on YouTube. She gave me a look from hell, said" I'm done with you". and took off. I didn't mean to make her that mad, but she picked the wrong time to push that on me. I felt bad and told nurse to apologize for me.
    She was probably just being caring, but all I could picture was my dislike for radiation, I know it helps too.

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Denise, this is a newer song I exercise to,

An oldie

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

Even with my slow weight-loss I got some, but yeah, I've heard people say it was like someone let the air out of them ;) You are doing great Marie!! After taking a couple of pills for depression a few years ago that made me sick I just figured I won't take a pill until I've tried everything natural first.

Wow, we're having the worst storm I've seen in my 7 years living here.

6. Denise Evans

Registered

Some conventional med-docs and nurses are literally close-minded and would rather we just shut up and do the surgery, or take the pill ;) I laughed outloud when I read what you answered to "her" youtube remark ;) I say good for you, she's short on sense of humor, and little if any, humility ;)

7. Denise Evans

Registered

I like both of those, they really make you want to move move move ;) Here's one from my "dance" playlist ;)

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Be careful, storms are dangerous.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

I use my hand weights for that song.;) My granddaughter sent me some larger ones. Good beat.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

What's your best ab exercise? If I do gain in the future, it will go straight to my stomach, but may fill back up this loose skin aka wrinkled. When I was younger it just took exercise and skip a few days of eating.

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

Your largest muscle burn the most naturally, including around the wasteline, so walking would work on all parts of the body. For weights, I use the Smith Machine. You can do controlled squats, but I first started out with a swiss ball, just body-weight. I also got my form down right before going heavier weight. I like an exercise when using a mat, on my hands and knees and lifting bended knee with bottom of foot towards the ceiling, no weights in that one. Once you build up your legs by, say, walking the Smith Machine is excellent.

I did forget to ask if you go to a gym though, but that Swill Ball is great for home-use ;) doing the squats. I'll show you a vid:
    https://youtu.be/6lNfrYCavb4 She's using some hand-weights I see in this video. You can do squats just hold standing but I had to work on my balance some to do those type.

12. Denise Evans

Registered

PS I really don't like the crunches and situps for abs, or some other machines at the gym as I have to take care of my back.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Denese this sounds good, and I can use the bed till I get a mat. Far as squats, may have to skip those since my knees may need more workout before I use weights on them. I do the exercise for the knee but need to be careful since my Bakers Cyst several years ago I'm very careful.
    No gym, since we live in rural area long way from one.

14. Denise Evans

Registered

I googled "exercises" to avoid back injuries, when I started out. I have what I think is some sort of "trick" knee so I also looked into that one. There's lots of info as you know out there, and at our age we have to take it real easy and listen to everything our body is telling us ;) I honestly think about more ways to strengthen my largest muscles, and now do quite a few upper body which I was slow to start on. I'm real slow on my workouts while people are flying around me at high-speed, but "form" is real important to me, and not getting hurt.

There's a fella down at the gym in his 50s and he looks sort of like a pro, really nice guy, but he tells me about his knees that he's had to really be careful as he hurt them running I think it was, I can't remember right now. But he's shown me a lot of proper form and I don't believe in no pain no gain, unless it's just a bit of ache/soreness from working muscles that have been long dormant, like mine were ;) LOL!!

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Indeed, the large muscles are the ones I want to work out the most for better benefit of blood sugar control.

This diabetes is a monster far as its full of surprises. It helps to drink lots of water, it helps clear the sugar out of the blood.

Denise Evans likes this.