When A Product Changes - Tv Show Cancels

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When you've been using a certain product for weeks/months/even years, and the product's maker changes it, how do you feel? Don't know about you folks, but when a product wife and I like changes.........well, we simply don't like "change" that much at all.

For a long time, we've bought Land O Lakes Spreadable Butter. A few months ago, we ran out and started looking for another tube. Absolutely couldn't find it. Then, we found out that Land O Lakes had changed the butter we like/loved and now has Canola Oil in it. It doesn't spread nearly as good as the old butter.

When a tv program is cancelled, that we watched weekly and really liked, well, that pi**es us off also. We miss: Mysteries of Laura, Pan Am, Body of Proof and LAX.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We quit buying Land O Lakes when they removed the Indian from the package and kept the land, so I hadn't noticed that they had changed the product itself. For similar reasons, I would quit buying Aunt Jemima Syrup except that, I didn't buy Aunt Jemima Syrup anyhow. I rarely buy any syrup at all but, when I do, it's locally produced maple syrup, bottled by someone I know personally.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Land o Lakes spreadable butter has always had some kind of oil added to it. Originally it was hydrogenated vegetable oil. The oil is what makes it spreadable. I understand they now put out a new version of 50% cream with 50% nonhydrogenated vegetable oil. Sounds more like margarine to me. Here we have either olive or canola oil added to the cream available in Land O Lakes spreadable. The pure cream in the stick is not considered spreadable if you refrigerate it. As far as pure cream butter, I buy Oregon Tillamook in the stick.

I use the Land O Lakes with canola for buttering grilled cheese sandwiches. I am also peeved that they removed the Indian Girl from the label. I didn't find anything offensive about it. That Indian girl had been on there since 1921.

I do understand the point that the girl had nothing to do with butter or dairy products. The lakes of Minnesota, the land of lakes, have Indian ties with wild rice that the natives harvested off the lakes. There is nothing racist or sexual about the old label. Unrelated to dairy products yes, but offensive not in the least.

As about 1/8th American Indian myself, I find it offensive that pale-faced folks with lesser Indian heritage than me are speaking for the Indian Nations with their "woke" nonsense. Why don't we cancel Elizabeth Warren?

R.png

I feel that they should also change their name and also dispense with the lakes scene and replace it with a modern-day product-appropriate scene.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I totally agree with you about the removal of the Indian girl on the label. It makes about the same amount of sense as the removal of Aunt Jemima from the syrup label.
    My belief is that this is all part of the taking away of familiar things and replacing them with the Clown World things, like showing the military in the dog-face bondage masks, and all of that crazy stuff with the transgenders in our government and appointed by Biden.
    None of us can imagine our father putting on a dress, lipstick and high heels and going to work dressed like that ! And if they did, they would have been fired and sent to the mental evaluation ward, not given a medal and promoted.
    We grew up in an era where men were still men, and women were really women and not dressed up men.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

So very true! I now remember that Indian Girl on the label. I liked it, but, like it or not, stupid or not, some things change. And, you are right, we didn't have any of this crap going on years ago.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

7. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't like when companies are taken over or bought by other companies because the products aren't as good.
    The first one I noticed was Franco-American canned spaghetti. In more recent years, after Hostess was taken over by various other companies their products range from not-so-good to awful. Plus I had no idea how many brands Hostess owned- and so how many have been affected.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Frequently, that's the case. After buying it, they look for ways to make the product more profitable and that usually means a decline in either quality or quantity.

Krystal Shay and Joanna Newton like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Those that have changed logos or pictures and etc. due to that- someone might be offended crap- i do not buy tat product any more.

10. Ken Anderson

If it's something that I really like or feel that I need, I'll buy it anyhow but, usually, there are alternatives, so I tend not to. When I learned that Sam's Club was refusing to do business with white-owned companies, I was inclined to leave Sam's Club, but I didn't do so until they began pushing their self-serve registers to the point where no cashier-assisted counters were open. We joined BJ's that day.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Seems like we've had this discussion before. Anyway, I remember when they changed Uncle Ben's Rice to just "Ben's." I have bought Uncle Ben's rice for years and years, and I don't plan to stop buying it. I was annoyed that a search on my grocery store website didn't find Uncle Ben, but when I queried "rice" it popped up in the product list.

I also buy Land o' Lakes butter. I preferred the old branding but it's still the same butter.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah I know the product is the same. And I am not a Die Hard in avoiding these companies, but is a matter of principle to me.

Beth Gallagher and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't had any brands that have changed regarding the name, yet. I have noticed the original Miracle Whip has changed. It's not as creamy as it used to be. I could scoop up a good amount and spread it but now it doesn't even stay on the knife longer enough to get to spread before it falls back in the jar. And no it's not just this one jar it has been several jars. Now that's a problem for me for I love me some Miracle Whip.

To go further, the same for some name brand cookies having too much sugar that makes it gritty. I made some from scratch the other day and my son said that he hasn't had a good homemade cookie in a long time. So I'm going to stock up on some baking ingredients.

It's one thing to change a name of a product but another thing to change the product.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When a company relies on its virtue signaling PR department more than Quality Control, I don’t blame people for getting a tad upset and taking the products off of their grocery list.
    This Woke movement frosts me too and to say I’m not bothered by it would be a lie but ……
    let’s be real.

Whilst it is indeed ridiculous to change a logo to appease some radical group of social terrorists (Karens), a logo is only the stamp placed on a product just before it is put on the shelves and doesn’t really have anything to do with it’s production. If a product doesn’t live up to its reputation then let that be a good reason to stop using it.

If we really wish to obsess over something, let it be something that really matters.
    We stop using Aunt Jemima because she is no longer on the label but we all pile into chocolate even though we know that nearly 80% of the cocoa we get is a product of African slavery.
    No more Indian on Land-O-Lakes so let’s boycott that but when Valentine’s day shows up, we’ll go buy “the little lady” something with a diamond in it which again, could be provided by forced labor depending on its origin.

In total, there are about 20 food items that we buy on a regular basis that has some type of forced labor tied in with it’s production and if we add in all the other products we get from China and India, the number of products from Hot Wheels to sports products where child labor is involved is staggering.

Now, with all that written, will I stop eating chocolate? Nope. Will I quit buying my favorite workout tank tops knowing who made them? Nope.
    Well, if I’m not going to boycott something because I know something in the production of the product is wrong, why should I obsess over a label?

I guess there’s a little hypocrisy in me after all……….or maybe a lot?

Von Jones likes this.