When Are Wellness Visits Appropriate Or Not Appropriate?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It seems that he tried doing that but they wanted him to speak to the therapist. Since he didn't call the therapist and saw no need for a therapist, they should have simply left. As he pointed out, this visit does get included in this guy's record and may be used against him at some later point when it comes to buying a gun or after new gun regulations are passed. This is compounded by the fact that he suspected it was in retribution for his disagreement with the VFW commander, and that was his complaint - not with the Sheriff's Department or with the therapist, although I find that it to be kind of creepy on the face of it.

As a paramedic, we'd sometimes ask for police accompaniment, depending on the area and the type of call we were receiving. One town in our service area we didn't go into without the Sheriff's Department. It was a tough town. Sometimes, people would call an ambulance out just so that they could rob us. But we didn't bring the police out to someone's house unless they called us for help.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In our area of Huntsville, if someone needs an ambulance the fire department will show up first, the police second and then the ambulance will finally show up.
    Rarely will an ambulance show up before the police are on the site.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have watched the video, some of if three times. Logan's body language indicates to me that he does need help. Notice how he constantly sways back and forth? That's not normal. I think it represents anger. Anger that could result in violence against "Rick" or other veterans. I think he was originally angry because Rick wouldn't let him talk about his book. What is his book about? Is it appropriate for veterans who may already be depressed?

From his wife's email....."I noticed that you interpreted Logan sharing his writing as a political move. As his partner, I know how uncomfortable he gets when talking about his work because he doesn't want to be in the spotlight. Rather, he wants to shed light on the content of his book.
    Let me know if there is any way I can help support repairing this so others,
    like Logan, don't fall through the cracks into isolation."

She mentions suicide several times.

Stop the video at 32 seconds and read her email. I hope he does get counseling. I think a wellness check on him was entirely appropriate.

4. Ken Anderson

He is angry. I'd be angry if someone sent the Sheriff's Department to my house with a therapist. In my life, I have been angry many times and the word "suicide" is in my vocabulary, so I'm sure I've used it before, but I have never been a danger to myself or anyone else. Note too, that this was his wife's letter, not his, and his wife doesn't indicate that her husband is a suicide risk.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    Bobby Cole and Nancy Hart like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Registered

6. Ken Anderson

For the reasons that I have noted. At some point, it is quite likely that this guy is going to be denied the right to purchase a firearm on the basis of this and if he is the victim of another such visit, the weapons he may now own (if he even owns any) may be confiscated, all through no fault of his own.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I do not DO symptom-less wellness checks and neither does my husband. Don't even answer those calls.
    If there is a concern we or family member might seek help. The nanny state does not need to be funded.
    However a large number of vets commit suicide. Caused by experiences of government involved wars. The vets don't get the help they deserve. Wounded warrior and other organizations go fund raising because of the needs the government does not cover. How much do the three in this video get?
    Gotta pick up the guns left behind.

8. Shirley Martin

Registered

In my not so humble opinion, he should not be able to buy a gun until his anger is under control.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Whether a man is allowed to buy a gun or not, if he wants one badly enough there are many ways to procure one without the government’s approval.
    I doubt if there’s a professional crook out there who legally owns a firearm.

10. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think it is important to note that when the government gets involved in people's lives, even with so-called wellness checks,
    the suicides, violence, and sickness all around and over all increases.

It also costs millions, billions, or now trillionsl? of dollars .....

11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

"With government's approval", and plan, many /most/ hospitals, clinics, doctors, health care employees now have "legally" many ways to cause sickness and death.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you invent these statistics?

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

That's the best kind of statistic, isn't it? When you invent a statistic on the spot, it can be made to fit your argument perfectly.

14. Shirley Martin

Registered

Is there an update on this?

15. Ken Anderson

Not that I am aware of.