When Friend Or Family Member Refuses To Understand

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, any "words of wisdom" from my last post of SIL wanting to come here and see us so soon? Just remember, neither of us want her to come.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - if you start lying now, your going to be doing that forever.
    A simple- sorry we are not up to company right now,we will let you know when is a good time for us. End of discussion no need to explain.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well have to discuss this with my wife. My wife doesn't want to hurt her older sister's feelings, but then again. IOW, when a family member refuses to take "no" for an answer, just what can be done???
    We've told her "no" for a visit once in Colorado, and guess what............she called us from local hotel to tell us she was in town. It was during the Pandemic, but she didn't care.

It's just like my BIL (wife's younger brother) told us, "you'll regret moving to close to her". However, we didn't think that a 6 hour drive was very close to us, but guess we were wrong.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

After you’ve already told her you have plans and just before she shows up, put a sign on the door saying, “gone fishin’”, turn off your phones and you and your wife do just that. Go fishin’.

John Nopales and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

LOL, however, my wife definitely won't go for the "gone fishin" thing. Sorry.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, without getting/being too rude or rude at all, just how do you tell someone "no" and have them understand and cooperate?

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

For goodness sake Cody - grow a pair- would ya? You either give in to her or you don't . Your are being a - push over .

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Hedi, it's not ME, it's my wife. She simply doesn't want to hurt her older sister. My wife can tell me all kinds of things about her sister she doesn't like when her sister isn't present or on the phone, but when her sister is present or on the phone, nothing is said by my wife.

All my wife can say is, "she lives alone and gets lonely" and I will say back to her, "she sees her two daughters and grandkids and has Bible Study friends. Heck, she has more friends than we ever had." And, another thing that is 100% "for sure", she absolutely hates staying at home, even though her apartment cost her over $3,000 a month (all inclusive).

9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Since your wife is your main concern, as it should, be then y'all best open the door and let her in. Sorry outta help for ya.

John Nopales and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

A 2X4 usually works for me.

John Nopales likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Oh, if she really insists on coming, we will allow it. Don't really want her to come, and it seems like the only way out of it would be to tell her that I'm sick. Don't want to lie, but when there no other alternative, what else can be done?

One of the good things about living in Colorado, we seen her (maybe) once in the summer. When the Pandemic hit, she was calling us darn near every day, until my wife told me to put my phone on Mute/Silent during the time she would call.

12. Andrea Lindsey

Andrea Lindsey Well-Known Member
    Registered

All I read was that Cody and his wife like mountains and moisture and green.

Move to West Virginia. You'll love it and your money will stretch far. Tell your SIL to visit and see if she wants to move, too.

I promise not to bother you.

[​IMG]

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thanks for the reply, but "no thanks" wife and I both say. True, we like mountains, moisture and green, however, we also love professional rodeo and farm/ranch livestock.

Andrea Lindsey likes this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

there are some- that can not be helped..Cody is one of them ;)

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I love West Virginia!!! and there's lots of good deals on land. But research it you get to keep what is under what you buy.

John Nopales and Andrea Lindsey like this.