When You Unsure Why Someone Doesn't Like You, How Do You Deal With It?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Jake Smith, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You always seemed quite nice to me.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree.

Mary Stetler and Jake Smith like this.
  3. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Regardless, telling your boss you don't like him or her is a stupid, juvenile move - the stuff of grade school maturity that shows a lack of professional behavior or possibly something worse. .I've had two employees in my lifetime that had serious anti-social issues of the destructive kind.(i.e. sociopathic). I was fortunate to have some managerial training on how to spot potential sociopaths.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. John West

Registered

I had a good idea why and chose not to create any additional angst on her part. More generally, people who worked for me were expected to focus on the job. act like adults and not engage in personality likes/dislikes. If you couldn't do that, I would help you either adjust or find another job.

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

We alol have our bad days and say too much, Sometimes I take a break so I don't get too invivled.
    This is true also in most cases.

6. Jake Smith

Registered

This one reminded me of some of my experiences, with employers who didn't seem to like me. Had this one boss, who for over about two weeks wouldn't give me any wrecks that paid much money to fix, yet kept giving coworker job after job, that were high-paying wrecks. During the second week, I just quit and went to another dealer who paid better. Never found out why he was so unfair, so I just moved on and figured maybe they were kin or close friends. :confused:

Wasn't always that way though, at one dealership I was doing bodywork, and the Service manager asked me to paint his Blaiser red, so I did, and after I finished it for him, he told the painter it was a sin for me not to be the painter there. He got mad at me instead of S.M., but at least I knew why he was mad.

Not trying to "brag", but it always seemed as if I had a talent for painting, for example once in Atlanta I applied for a job, and two of the painters there were sent into their dirty booth to paint a car each, and the manager was super upset, about the dirty paint jobs, and so he asks me to go in and paint one, so I did, and it was totally clean when I was through, he fired both of them and said you're new head painter, just name your price. Guess I came up at the right time for that job. :)

Mary Stetler and John West like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

One you painted at autobody refinishing was put in Street Rod Magazine, the magazine held up a sign said, read the sign in the shine'.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sometimes it is worse with family. You can't say anything to them about their kids or grandkids.
    My daughter was telling me about her grown daughter last week and I just replied, " I hope you didn't give her any unwanted "advice". She got the message.

Joanna Newton likes this.
  9. John West

Registered

I had a VP boss of a design unit that didn't like me. I think the reason was that his boss, a SVP and board member, would appoint me project manager for the big/tough jobs. This unit was in a very large company that prided itself on never having employees leave. The boss got a bad employee review, which can be a kiss of promotion death. He thought I wrote the bad review. I didn't but his favorite employee did but he couldn't see it. He called me into his office to hand me a demotion so I quit and left. The man did me a great favor as I was able to move away and go on to far better and more interesting jobs.

10. Jake Smith

Registered

Things have a way of working themselves out if we let them, but at the time, we don't see it that way. It got better for me too after I moved on, I just wish we had some of the knowledge, we have now in later years, back then. We would've had it a lot easier, knowing the right thing to do.

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

You are always welcome in Wisconsin to paint hubby's 1960 Buick electra.:rolleyes: It is a boat of a car. And our body work guy just closed up shop.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

I always liked the big cars, my favorite was the Continental the extra-long one, forgot which one it was. Of course I liked the 55 Chevy's too for drag racing.
    I don't stay mad at anyone for long. I think a lot of our anger is for something or someone ither than the person we take it out on, like the new society we now live in is not good at all. Or just a bad day.
    Some take it personal and sometimes it is personal.:confused:

Jake Smith likes this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

Painted those before too. Need to paint ours, but Marie said, why make them look good this day and time, someone will steal them. :confused: :)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

Not so much the van itself but the new look may attract some that a beater wouldn't. At my age I'm not too worried about things I use to. Running well is better than looking good, breaking down is more dangerous than it used to be.
    Some see a nice shiny auto and may think you have money or assets worth killing you for it.:eek:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You are assuming that somehow the boss is emotionally superior, which isn't always the case. I was also in a supervisory position in a large corporation for many years. People (including supervisors) are just people, and many of them have no business being supervisors.