When You Unsure Why Someone Doesn't Like You, How Do You Deal With It?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Jake Smith, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As everyone knows, we recently had an episode with a lady who I definitely Know without a shadow of a doubt doesn’t like me.
    To be sure, although I do wish things would have been much kinder, it was her actions that affected me but not her dislike.
    Alas, after fending off and countering a few blows, I simply ignored her.
    That isn’t saying i wasn’t still bothered by those blows (innuendos and labels) but I do believe ignoring her was the very best thing I could do.

2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I seen some of that, and personally IMO, she had an agenda, she was out to prove against many here, just by the way she wouldn't let things go, or try to get along. In the introduction thread, she came out, calling most here names. Like I said I seen it, but didn't get involved, had a lot going on at that time.

I do agree a lot; with what you said, it does affect you, one way or another.

3. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Imagine a World where everyone shares the same thought processes and no one is an independent thinker. Going back to 1960 "The Time Machine" the best part was the last where the mindless people were being herded to the slaughter house by those goofy looking creatures.

"In this popular adaptation of H.G. Wells' classic novel, Rod Taylor is a scientist in 1880s Victorian England who builds a vehicle to transport himself through time. He first travels to 1917 and the horror of World War I. Next, he sets his destination for 1940 and the start of World War II. From there he travels to a future London where he barely escapes nuclear holocaust. In his desperate escape, he sets his destination into the future and ends up in the year 802701, where he meets an innocent race of people living in an idyllic land.... but this future may be the most dangerous of all his journeys in The Time Machine. Winner of the Academy Award for Best Special Effects."

I don't think I've ever been in a crowd that truly likes everyone. It's wonderful we're all free thinkers, if we weren't I doubt our race would still be alive on this earth. No learning no invention no communication, a good disagreement is a gift.

4. Jake Smith

Registered

Keeps things interesting and lively. I always like time travel movies like you mentioning. We just have to learn how take the good with the bad; I guess, "so to speak". Not to get political; but, it's sort of like dems and republicans, they don't like each other either, but they seem sort of alike, at times, to me.

We never quit learning it seems , and some things are not what they seem. Makes me think of Solomon, prayed for wisdom and then says; much wisdom brings great sorrow.

5. Jake Smith

Registered

Was on here reading today and saw this thread again and was thinking about some of the folks I see on here disagreeing about stuff, and later getting along fine, even giving each other a like; some who never give anyone a like. There are some people who never forgive, and then there are some who forgive shortly after disagreeing about things. Marie gets over things pretty soon afterward, which is a good way to be, instead of holding grudges that only hurt you. "IMO"

I saw Thomas was on here when I was last on this thread, and he's still missing, "I think". Hope all is well with him, and everyone here too. There are some really nice folks here on Soc. We've lost some just since I've been online here. :( We are all supposed to forgive each other, but sometimes it can be really hard to do so. I always try to think the other person could be going through things no one knows about and overlook the mean attitude they may be displaying to others because a lot of the time they are going through a bad time. Never know, huh? :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Thomas stopped posting in August. He had been complaining of the heat and his inability to get around. I worried about him after two weeks of no posts since his Viet Nam posts were regular, involved and important to him. Then nothing.

7. Jake Smith

Registered

Thanks, Mary, I was wondering about him. He told me some pretty interesting stories, that he went through in Viet Nam, and put up some pictures, on my introduction thread. He was telling me that he was worried about forgetting those things, and Yvonne and I were telling him that everything he had written on here was recorded.

I hope he's okay and returns soon, I will say a prayer for him, that all is well. :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Everybody wants to be liked.

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

All according to what it takes to be liked. Some are not good with cliques or groups that demand 'allegiance.o_O:)
    I was on a senior site before this one that was that way.

Jake Smith and Shirley Martin like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Registered

I don't like cliques.

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh this is a good one. I don't care.

12. Jake Smith

Registered

I agree, that being disliked is not as fun, as being liked. :D

Then, there are some who feel like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Only for the moment it does bother me but I've learned that a person who exposes their dislike whatever it may be has done the best thing ever and to leave them alone and move forward.

14. Shirley Martin

Registered

I've never had anybody say they didn't like me. It's probably because I am such a totally likeable person. smiley hands.png

Or it may be because I can whoop their ass. ;o)

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't understand people who hate - or even dislike - someone simply because they disagree with them on many subjects. Now, if that person is in a position of power so that their opinions can become obstacles to my quest for happiness, fulfillment, or whatever, I would expect more emotions to be involved, which could turn into dislike or even hatred. However, in this case, it's not the disagreement that has caused problems with the relationship; they have done something that impeded me. I won't necessarily hate them for it, but that would depend on what they've done. If someone took my house by eminent domain, for example, I would probably hate everyone involved for the rest of my life, and I'd get even if the opportunity presented itself.

But that goes far beyond a disagreement. When someone disagrees with me on politics, religion, or something else but has little or no power to do something to me beyond voting differently than I'd like them to, I can't imagine disliking them for that reason. If they can make good arguments for their position, I'll probably enjoy the debate. If they are incapable of making reasonable arguments but disagree with me anyhow, I might be temporarily amused by them, but only for a little while. I might not want them as a friend, but I wouldn't hate them for their ignorance. Ignorance might frustrate me if there's some reason why I couldn't simply ignore them, however.

I can see getting frustrated during a debate that shouldn't have turned into an argument, but people should be able to get over it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023