Where You Live

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 8, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I have classmates, from high school graduation in 1968, that still live in the same area they were raised in and went to both grade school, junior high and high school. Actually, I knew a few that took over the farm that their parents had. Sort of amazing when thought about today, with so many people moving around/living different places. Like wife and I have. Fortunately, when I met my wife, in So California, she had been thinking about moving to Laughlin, NV. After telling her about the summer heat in Laughlin, we decided on Colorado. I was really ready to leave So California, as she was. She left Michigan after visiting her sister and brother who had already left Michigan and went to So. California.

After I got out of the Navy, I only returned to the old farm, in northeastern Indiana, a few times for a visit. Never really thought about moving back, getting employment and staying.

What about you? You still living in the same area you went to grade school, junior high and high school?

John Nopales likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Do you live where you do because you have to or because you want to?

There are thousands of people moving all over America. Weather, family, job or whatever. And, there are those that will "bad mouth" a specific state/city. There are so many that think they live in Utopia. I have high school classmates that still live in the same area they lived in when we graduated in 1968. A few are old/older farmers that took on the family farm when their mom/dad retired from farming.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I decided to move to Alaska in 1989, but would probably have left 10 years ago if I were not married. Wife said she had moved enough and didn't want to give up her friends network. We now take a break in winter and visit our children sometime in the winter. So far, Hawaii has been a vacation option, but that may not continue due to world events.

Krystal Shay and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Having been born and raised in Texas moving to SW Kansas was not my dream. Due to high rents and and trying to live off of only SS -plus being offered an affordable place to live out our lives, is the only reason we moved.
    Like all things there is good and bad in every place or situation. We both wish we could have moved ten yeas ago vs now.
    But hey we are fine and making do :cool:

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

As I've said several times before in similar threads, we have lived in this house since we built it in 1994. It's too big for us now (5 bedrooms) but it's nice when all the kids come home for holidays, plus we are just content to be here. There's a certain comfort in "home."

I wouldn't mind moving out of the Houston area but I have no idea where I'd want to go. We have good neighbors and there's a lot to be said for that. We are close to shopping and excellent medical facilities, which is important as we age.

6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I live about 4 1/2 hour drive from where I grew up. I could not tell you if a single high school classmate of mine is alive or dead. People are not a big thing in my life.

7. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

Over 75 years plus I have lived in two continents and 10 or 11 places the most recent one being 30 acres of rural woodland on which I built my own house some 20 plus years ago. Thats it! I am NOT moving again, in fact I rarely even leave my hideaway, and hope that my kids retain this hard won property even if they dont live on it, for fully owned property is worth more than gold IMHO!

Don Alaska and Thomas Windom like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wish we could be "Snowbirds", like a couple of people we know, but finances sure don't call for that. Both have been "Snowbirds" for numerous years. We know why we moved to Henderson, basically for a lake to put our boat on and to escape Colorado winters.
    Unfortunately, Henderson is growing even faster than where we lived before. Then again, those that still have to work, mainly younger generations, have to live where the jobs are. Actually, we thought Loveland, CO was getting "fast paced", but Henderson is way, way outdoing Loveland.
    After doing some research, we think, but will visit first, that either Reno or Carson City would be better for us. Much, much less of a population and traffic, but much more wildlife (and my wife loves that). Winters there are much, much better than anywhere in Colorado, but both do get snow.
    We will see what happens. However, all we do know is that, one year from now, we most definitely have to move north!

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Why don't you just accept that no place is perfect and decide to make the most of wherever you are? Good grief.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I grew up in NY state, went to school in Milwaukee, got married and followed hubby's work north where he died on me.
    Second hubby grew up in the town I was in and we stayed. Got a house in the country.
    After the kids grew up, we sold that house and bought hubby a very nice house straight east of that house about 5 miles and got a small farm in the middle. Mine. I like where we are and never liked travelling (although hubby did) We went on a lot of group tours because neither of us could stand how the other drove.:rolleyes:
    Funny thing. You tube has videos trying to answer the question of where to move to be safe in 'the up coming' war. They recommend buying passports to several countries. Not able to do that although I could have gotten a citizenship in Ireland because of my mom, a while back.
    I'm good where we are and if Trump gets back in, I will buy green bananas;)

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

But, some places are more "perfect" than others! Just found out yesterday that Vegas intends on getting both an NBA and MLS teams. The population of Henderson, and Las Vegas, is exploding. For those that are leaving So California due to traffic, they are in for a major disappointment here. Traffic is getting worse and worse.

I know, we complained about where we lived before, but things are actually worse here (believe that or not). Where we lived at before, we just walked into the DMV and got new DL and/or license plate/registration. Here, an appointment is a necessity and the appointment is a month from the time you make it.

We picked Henderson due to Lake Mead, but the water level is so low, we don't even know if we will be able to launch our boat safely. We thought the young folks in Loveland didn't like old/older Seniors, well, it's even worse here on the freeways and streets. The young folks think the freeways and streets here are Daytona Motor Speedway (seriously).

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You have complained about EVERY PLACE you have lived. I think you should buy a motorhome and move in. That way you can just crank up and drive your "house" to the next unacceptable location.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Beth, complaining is what seniors do best! I know we do a good job of it, but have very good reasons why we have.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I live where I am because it offers the lifestyle to which I have become accustom. That lifestyle is the western rural vibe with a lot of patriotic folks. I cannot imagine living anywhere as my permanent residence, away from the ability to walk out my door and be in ranch country.

I have been in my current house for 30 years. It is a single story ranch style home. Over the years I have remodeled it to fit my needs. If I get the idea of a greener pasture than mine, I remember my dad saying, "Just fertilize and water yours and then it is greener." Lots of truth in that wisdom.

Before I was here, I lived in a house deeper into town. I was there for just a few years and felt trapped, but only when i was home which was about 6 days a month due to working high paying jobs that were found only out of a reasonable driving area.

Before that I was 15 years in the remote mountains, several of those off the grid.

I am continually downsizing, preparing for a final move to a small house on a small easy to keep lot. I have no idea where, but somewhere around the area and on the edge of town. I can't see spending thousands just to move. The ideal would be a seniors community that offered assisted care when needed, but allowed me to own my own place and live independent as much as possible.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We really don't want to move again, but have absolutely no choice. Henderson is becoming more and more like Los Angeles every day and getting very faced-paced. My wife misses the wildlife (Whitetail and Elk) of Colorado and those two sure aren't found here! Wanted a lake to put our boat on, but sure didn't know how low Lake Mead is in water. May be able to launch it, but then again, may not be able to. Don't want to put the new Durango too far in the water and it's pretty shallow at the launch ramp.