Which State Would You Least Like To Live In?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Of the safest states, calculated by the number of violent crimes per population numbers, Maine is the #1 safest state again. The most violent state is Alaska. Although this video lists the District of Columbia as #1, DC isn't a state.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The violent rating may be based on firearm deaths. In Alaska, over 60% of those are suicides. The suicide rate here, especially among young people, is horrendous. We also have very few people, so the per capita rate can be quite high.

3. Ken Anderson

No, he said that the figures included only violent crimes, not accidental injuries. Whether suicide by gun is included, I don't know. Maine also has a low population and a lot of guns, yet we're the number one safest state. I think we also have the oldest population, though.

4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Suicide is not an accidental injury. Nonetheless, I have been in all the states of the U.S. and I feel safer here than most other places. My only trip to Maine my car was broken into and ransacked while I was out hiking in a state park, and, while that is not a violent crime, I wonder what would have happened if I had returned while the thief was in my car? Lots of nice people in places I have been, including NYC and Los Angeles. I believe we do have the most workplace injuries of any states due to the dangerous nature of the work that is done here.

5. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It would be really hard to choose and to be fair I think the large blue cities would determine the choice. In most states it's not the entire state that is so dangerous.

If I had to choose between Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, NYC, New Orleans, Memphis, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland OR, I could go on and on. To be fair Denver is catching up, if not equal in some cases.

Maybe California would win for having more extremely dangerous cities than any other state.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

California also has some wonderful areas in the northern and eastern reaches of the state, but they are governed by the wackies on the coast.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

California and NY ...

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Ken Anderson

There are probably good places to live in every state. I know that I've been surprised by some of them. I have been to most of the states, although I haven't more than passed through some of them. Of all the states, I can think of only one I wouldn't want to live in. Florida comes close, but although I have never been there, I think I'd hate living in Hawaii even more. I guess I'm not much for the warm-weather, vacationland crap. I had forgotten about Hawaii in my first post.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The worst part about Hawaii is the boring weather, even worse than South Florida. I miss wild weather here (except blizzards). We seldom have thunderstorms, and when I lived in the Bush, there were native elders who had never heard thunder. I used to love to watch thunderstorms from a secure location, but I never liked tornados.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Lambert Regenlöf

Lambert Regenlöf Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would least enjoy spending a long time in Hawai'i. Although I have loved living on the - (continental!) - coast, I need to wander, need to see mountain-like land, deep valleys, rough desert, tilled plains, bridges over rivers, changes of scenery, places I've never been before. Alaska intrigues me because it is so unreachable in many areas, and if one did reach those areas, there's not much to do except turn around and come back. Good times, ha.