Which Was Your Best Age To Be In And Why?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Susan Paynter, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Best age? Whatever I will be tomorrow...

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not sure. Have to think about it for amoment. Parts of my childhood were happy times, parts sad. I struggled too long to support my family before I got a head.
    Thinking back, the best years were after I retired and before emphosema got such a hold on me. I guess like anything else it
    takes practice. Maybe in the next life I'll do better, having had some experience in this one.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think I could pin one period down.My late teens and twenties I had a crazy few years with the Marines and just being male single and brimming with testosterone. Mid thirties to late forties, I was super physically fit, not gym fit, but hardworking for decades fit. There wasn't much that I wouldn't tackle.
    Believe it or not,I am thinking that these years are the best. We both are in reasonably good health, the kids are grown and gone ,I have grankids to enjoy when I want, then send them home. Our mortgage is gone, neither of us work, we live comfortably below our means, We no longer have livestock or animals to tie us down. Until Corona hit we would get a wild hair about going some where in the evening and be on the road in the morning.
    I enjoy freedom from work,obligations ,kids,and creditors, and answer only(sometimes) to the Missus. I finally am FREE!!!

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with Peter. There were a few times in my 20's I enjoyed a lot, but they didn't last very long.

I'd also have to say right now is the best time. Very few responsibilities. Almost like being a kid again, but with more choices, and a better knowledge of what you would like and what you wouldn't.

5. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

And if I think about it, I tend to agree. Looking back I've had a very eventful and active life that I'm proud of. I think of the years of my graduate study in Austria during the 60s. (Austria is a different country not.) Wife and I are enjoying hell out of our recent years. I have to add something that amuses me: I milked my last cow the morning that I left for the state university. I thought at the time that that part of my life was over. When I retired in 2006, we moved to a rural area near Gainesville FL. We got some goats, which I enjoyed milking for a decade. I miss them, but having someone care for them when we travel became difficult.

Nancy Hart likes this.