Why Am I Being Sent A Daily Prayer?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 29, 2021.

1. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Here in Florida we get spam calls that start with a prayer. Religion grifters are the most annoying kind. We have plenty of them, some generations old.

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't care who or why but I will just pass them off to the membership for their perursal.

3. Joyce Senior

Joyce Senior Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm in Florida. I get almost nothing as I have so many blocks on my phone. I have no idea, though, what the ones that do come through are about as I have an answering machine with four mailboxes (I use a landline). If my mailbox isn't pressed and a message isn't left, anything there might be goes into the junk mailbox and I never hear it; the number is then blocked.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Things sure have changed. We used to look forward to mail and phone calls. Now I let everything go to voicemail and delete the majority. Or have an overflow of spam. We hide from phone calls. First it was telemarketers who taught us to become rude to callers. Now it is robo calls which I see is rude.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

And by passing them on you are now part of the problem.

6. Lon Tanner

Registered

Here is the prayer I received this morning.
    Gospel, Luke 6:6-11

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Google it.

And I don't see a problem in posting these messages here. There's a difference in posting on a forum and sending an email, since we decide whether or not to log in here and view a particular thread.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  8. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If it were me, I'd answer them this way: I have a bible app on my phone, which is free for anyone to download, and so I have the entire bible available at any moment.

Therefore, I don't need scriptures sent to me, as my custom is to read beneficial verses almost every day, so it would be better to send them elsewhere.

9. Mary Stetler

Registered

Lon is a big boy now. He knows he can merely delete them, block the sender so he stops getting them, look them up via google... but I suspect, in the way he presents them on the forum, he is just trying to see what kind of response he gets. He has said he likes to stir things up
    Or, block the sender.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Lon Tanner

Registered

I send them out as to what I thought was a kind gesture from a non believer to BELIEVERS. Read or Delete as you see fit.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Registered

Sorry, you did not submit them at first as an offering. Will do as you recommend

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm fine with you passing these along.

Here's Luke 6: 6-11

*******************************************************​
    6 On another Sabbath he went into the synagogue and was teaching, and a man was there whose right hand was shriveled. 7 The Pharisees and the teachers of the law were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal on the Sabbath. 8 But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Get up and stand in front of everyone.” So he got up and stood there.

9 Then Jesus said to them, “I ask you, which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?”

10 He looked around at them all, and then said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He did so, and his hand was completely restored. 11 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law were furious and began to discuss with one another what they might do to Jesus.
    *******************************************************​

A synopsis of one commentary says: Truth and law are to help free people in life and in their worship of God; not hinder them. A proper understanding and application of God’s law will not result in the development of roadblocks to God, but will open up access for all people.

As everything in the Bible is, this is as applicable today as it was back then. Legalism is a roadblock to one's relationship with God, yet some shall always try to impose Form over Substance even though in the above passage Jesus specifically admonishes us not to.

I went back to night classes at the age of 40 to try to finish my bachelor's (I never did) and took Humanities classes for the very first time, since they were not a requirement to get my Associates. Anyone who has even a passing experience with the writings of Socrates and Aristotle and Plato will find parallels with what the Bible says about the enduring character of human behaviour (although they may disagree as to the remedy.) To that point, I find it concurrently concerning and comforting to realize (as was written in Ecclesiastes-1-9 around 450BC) “The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.” True that. Ain't nuthin' new.

See you tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Mary Stetler and Lon Tanner like this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Just send things you don't want to receive to Spam Lon...or delete! It takes less time to do either one of those things...then post about it on SOC.

14. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

peruRsal?

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Registered

A message I received this morning. I have not been able to relate to any that I have received PERHAPS YOU CAN.