Why Are There Or What Is The Need For So Many Flavors Of Christianity?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Jack Roberts, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm Jewish, and I just said it. LOL

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

There are several Jewish domominations and they do not beleive Jesus was the Messiah, some have strict diet s and Sabbath observances.
    Most Christian do not leep the Sabbath Holy but most Jews do,most Christians see all food as clean yet not Jews.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As I was typing about Jews being born into the faith, I got curious as to whether or not Jews could be excommunicated (I'm embrassed to admit I did not already know the answer.) I was surprised to find out that there are not only a handful of Biblical transgressions, there is also the general "Failure to obey Jewish leaders."

Some examples include:
    • uttering the name of God in vain
    • luring another person to sin
    • refusing to testify before a court at the allotted time
    • selling nonkosher meat as kosher meat
    • marrying a non-Jewish individual

There is a formal process for excommunication, and differing degrees (and time periods) for being excommunicated.

To bring this back on-topic, here are the 2 Biblical reference to expulsion I could find. These are the instruction of Jesus in Matthew 18:15–17

Step 1: Go to the person privately, tell him how he has sinned against you, and be reconciled if he is willing. If the offending person repents, no more action is required.
    Step 2: If he won’t listen, go back with two or three witnesses to have the conversation again, establishing the facts and the evidence.
    Step 3: If he still refuses to listen and repent from his sinfulness, bring him before the full church body and make the case against him.
    Step 4: If there is still no repentance, the church is to excommunicate the sinner. Jesus’ words are “let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector”

Some churches would have us believe that there is no more sin after "Jesus paid our collective price," but given Jesus' own words above regarding dealing with sin, that is patently false.

Also in the spirit of the intersection of sin and excommunication among the different flavors of churches & their attendant beliefs, I reread Paul's admonition to the church in Corinth because they had misunderstood the grace of God so badly that they had come to believe all sin should be tolerated, maybe even celebrated proudly, as evidence of God’s grace and forgiveness (sound familiar?) This was a case of a man having sex with his mother-in-law. The local body of believers was, under apostolic authority, to turn this man over to Satan for “the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord” (1 Corinthians 5:4–5). The man subsequently repented and was allowed back in.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. John Brunner

I think [nearly] all humans rationalize.

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Do you like the songs in the the movie 'Fiddler On The Roof, I do especially the one below,

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

This is why I study on my own and many other's interpretantions of the church.
    Not having a answer to anything I just say The Lords Prayer and ask God to help those who need it, especially me far as faith.

7. John Brunner

Chaim Topel, baby.
    Still alive & well.

May I admonish both of us to not wander too far afield in this topic...although that's how conversations naturally flow.

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. John Brunner

I read the Bible a few times before I got the Quest Study Bible. I really liked the one method that took me from an Old Testament passage to it's New Testament counterpart (often--but--not always a prophecy and it's fulfillment.)

Frankly, my experiences in 12 Step Groups (quit drinking in 1990) is what put me on the path I'm on today. It also taught me the purity of adherence to principles and to not let distractions infect things. One day I'll have to lay out the 12 Steps as reflective of Christianity and the 12 Principles as also reflective of Christianity. The 12 Principles are AA's version of the many admonitions to stick God's word (such as "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.") If we put ourselves in control, things will not end well. Again, to the topic, the risk of all these church flavors is that they chart their own course.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I can't place the exact details as it was many years ago, but there was an article in United Synagogue Review that discussed the similarities between Yom Kippur and the Steps- mainly the steps that are about amends, etc.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

I like him been,he is funny and good actor.
    Some Jewish traditions in the song,better thn me writing them out,lol.

11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Although I was baptized a Lutheran, my personal religion is the one swimming around in my Heart and Mind.

Hal

Ed Wilson likes this.
  12. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Church people should realize that people have different personalities. I got told to leave a church once because I could not bring myself to get emotionally charged up like the rest of the people, they told me to find a church more suited to my type.
    I don't like strangers hugging me yet for some reason they felt compeled to do so and I could not just start babbling or speak in "tongues" like everyone else even though they were not following the scriptures mandate on how to do so in an assembly, tongues with interpretation.
    So I quit going to church.

Janice Lynne likes this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

And you think non believers are any better? People are the same and form all kinds of groups and tribes.
    On the social forums not really any different people don't like change they we like changing others. Agree or be ignored. I guess we never would have evolved any other way,don't know.
    I'm tired and rambling time to retire.

14. John Brunner

I have never been in a church where they got all fired up, spoke in tongues or hugged strangers. In fact, most white people churches I've been in act as though they're already dead.

Your experience sounds like some cliché revival tent movie scene.

15. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not revival all though I've been to tent revivals mostly Oral Roberts and Billy Graham once, I was raised Baptist but moved next to a Pentacostal family that is where I got into weird church meetings, go to any Pentecostal church meeting to see fired up people.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.