Why The Excessive Profanity On Netflix / Amazon / Showtime Hbo Captioning?

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Remember Woodstock? I remember Country Joe and the Fish starting out his song about Vietnam, with the "give me an F" and on. Then, he asked the crowd, "what's that spell?" something like three times. And they responded with the "F" bomb. And, that was back in 1969.

Wife and I remember seeing a documentary about Judy Garland and in one scene (not a movie) she said the "F" bomb. Heck, we didn't even know people said that word back them!

2. Logan Bellgamin

Logan Bellgamin Well-Known Member
    Registered

I sometimes wonder why we humans use the "F" word as an insult or as an expression of disgust or anger.

"F" is how we all got here. If I use "F" as a curse word, I am not merely insulting the person to whom I just shouted, "F you!!" No, in actuality I am also insulting my own mother & father, by demeaning the act by which they conceived me, in a moment of a very intimate, very private, very personal expression of their love and trust for one another. I am insulting my spouse and myself by demeaning our act of love for each other. I am insulting my children who were conceived by it. Worst of all, I am insulting God, who invented it.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, there are those young adults that grew up hearing this language from their parents, just like those that smoke cigarettes. Their parents smoked, so........

In a different forum, I done a thread about cussing and using the "F" word and numerous members said they use it and don't care what others think. "Whatever", I thought.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I think they have no class or manners.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Black people have a totally different way of using profanity and words seldom used by white people. Particularly the use of the word mother.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Seriously?

Logan Bellgamin likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I don't know, Lon, I've heard white folks using the word "mother........" as well as blacks. In fact, in beginning of the movie, To Paris With Love, John Travolta says that word multiple times to a French Customs Officer.

8. Lon Tanner

Registered

Yes seriously. Can you dig it?

9. Lon Tanner

Registered

OK but mother------ originated in the black community and whitey thought that was pretty cool and started using it. Can you dig it man?

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

How on earth do you know where that phrase originated? Get real, "man."

11. Lon Tanner

Registered

Because I lived around the black community and many of the jive ass brothers were friends. Dig?

I grew up as a teen ager living in west Oakland, Ca. a predominately black neighborhood.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  12. Logan Bellgamin

Logan Bellgamin Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hmm... I thought "mother f...." originated in WW-1, when a USA pilot, flying back to base & out of ammo, encountered a bevy of German Fokkers***.

The pilot loudly screamed, "God help me, Mother -- look at all them Fokkers!"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ***Picture of a Fokker, a WW-1 fighter plane
    upload_2021-4-12_16-21-8.png

Attached Files:

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I remember, years ago, hearing jokes that included the "F" word, like:

Colonel Custer looking around (Little Big Horn) and saying, "where in the "F" did all these Indians come from?"

Or, the movies named, Meet The Fockers and two movies with "Fockers" in it. Heck of a last name!

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

See, that’s the thing about “entertainment”. Whatever a well known movie actor says, wears or does it must be the right thing to do to be cool.
    If script writers and actors would start being cool by eliminating all the idiotic sentence fillers maybe those watching the movie might get the point but naw, it’s probably way too late for that.

Carry on America, carry on......

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Bobby, that is the thing.......actors want to work, obviously like many people do. If they read a script that has profanity in it, they have two choices: 1. take the part, 2. not take the part and have to wait until their agent calls them for another part. However, there are some actors that, no matter if they need the money or not, will refuse a part due to the script. Just like there are actresses that will refuse a nude/sexual scene because they've done it before and didn't like it.

An actor gets to read the script before accepting the part, whereas a regular person can accept a job, and later, part of the job description changes. Either go with the change or quit the job. I've had that happen to me! Took a job, which included pickups and deliveries. Didn't ask who would supply the vehicle and the "who" wasn't discussed. Big mistake! Turned out that I had to use my own small/old pickup. Ended up having to spend some $500 on an engine repair. The company wouldn't reimburse me a penny.