Why The Excessive Profanity On Netflix / Amazon / Showtime Hbo Captioning?

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was a kid, we had to pay a nickle just for saying 'Shut up!' We didn't dare say anything worse. I went to an all girl Catholic high school. The Smothers Brothers were always complaining about the censors keeping it clean. When I got to college, the F word was just up and coming into standard English.
    Later I worked on a farm and blushed when I first heard tits.
    Tits!
    But to be fair, it was in context. It was a dairy farm and a lot goes on with them.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember when "Shut up!!" was considered to be highly disrespectful.
    And on the farm I imagine the word was "teets."

Sadly, the loss of embarrassment is not because we have matured past it, it's because The Prurient has become The Norm.

Dwight Ward and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember when my step-dad use to say "that's about as useless as the tits on a boar". IOW, for those that don't know much about hogs, boars are males and have tits on them like females do for nursing piglets.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I remember, back in early 90's, I was working for an engineering manufacturer. The accounting manager came out to the shop to ask the shop supervisor something and he told her, in somewhat of a loud voice, "I can't f-ing talk to you right now, I'm busy". Her and the owner/president of the company were very close, but only as employees. She immediately told him what the shop supervisor had said. Actually, I was close by when he said that to her and she told the owner/president that I'd had heard him say that. The owner/president called me into his office, and behind closed door, asked me what I had heard. I told him.

He went into the shop supervisor's office and told him "Never, ever talk to my accounting manager like that again or I'll fire you on the spot. Do you understand me?"

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I think you are right. For the times they are a-changin'

Dwight Ward and John Brunner like this.
  6. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I enjoy all the old programs and movies that don't have all that language and perversity in them. I find them very comforting. I swear but I'm trying to work on quitting again. I did once before. I need to again. I grew up in a house where the parents swore like sailors. Hard habit to break.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You do know there is a difference in swearing, between the really, really bad words, like the "f" bomb and simply saying "damn"? I was in the Navy and know how some sailors can talk. However, I did say "some".

8. Joyce Senior

Joyce Senior Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's relative to the individual, Cody. I lump the "f" with the ones you're probly
    And there was a time that piano legs were
    I don't know if this was around in the 90's, but right around that time. However, if she'd told him she never wanted to hear it again (or similar verbalisations), and he did it again, he'd have been in violation the sexual harassment law.

9. Marci Miller

Registered

Yes I'm aware. However, swearing is swearing.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

It's very hard to stop swearing. I live alone and 99% of my speech is to my cat. I'm impatient by nature and by myself I use language that I look down on the teenage generation for using.
    I think there's a connection between the language we use and the state of mind we engender within ourselves. In other words, calm words come from a calm mind and harsh words can, conversely, make us harsh inside. Maybe that's why good poetry can make me literally sigh with relief.

When the stars threw down their spears,
    And water'd heaven with their tears,
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

11. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

It's going somewhat off topic but I'm a rasslin' fan going way back. My Dad and I used to go together - one of the few things we did together. He was a believer. I knew it was fake but still enjoyed it for the the choreography and athleticism. Somewhere among my papers I have Bruno Samartino's autograph.

12. Marci Miller

Registered

I'm impatient by nature as well so once I get going things just fly. I need to start counting to ten or something. LOL

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.