Why Would A Deity Need To Be Praised?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by D'Ellyn Dottir, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Joan Kuper

Joan Kuper Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

D'Ellyn Dottir,
    @Joan Kuper we're not far apart in our thinking on this, although I don't identify with any organized religion. Thanks for adding your thoughts.

I call myself a Catholic because I was told, once baptized one is claimed as a Catholic unless the church excommunicates them..lol I find so much amazing truth in other religions and recently in science..the Toa of Physics was one of my first sources

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  2. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Joan Kuper , I loved the Tao of Physics, and also the Tao of Inner Peace, along with Blackfoot Physics. Very enlightening.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

An attitude of gratitude is what is missing in the world these days. Well said, Yvonne!

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My belief based on study and experience tells me that the supreme power of the universe does not seek praise. That is something that individual humans feel necessary in order to feel they have a relationship with this power and are superior to others that deny their deity.

I acknowledge the power of the universe, its vastness, and its power. I won't praise an invisible individual as one might a human ruler threatening torture and death. Praise is just words. Even a fast and sloppy study of the Christian Bible reveals that God demands actions, not words. This fits in with reality. A tornado is coming, do you pray or get out of its path? You take an action and if later so moved then praise a higher power for giving you the good sense to get out of the danger zone. The idea of addressing a minister as a reverend makes me ill. The idea that the pope is God on earth and must be worshipped is sickening to me.

To address the thread topic question, a diety needs to be praised so the leaders of the believers of that diety feel superior. Humans seek praise, not an invisible spiritual concept. Praising or cursing the universe makes no difference except to living humans. Vocal praise and worship are just for human ears and rejuvenation.