Winter Weather

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Bill Boggs, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounded like a lot of "Hail" broke loose lastnight, mostly Texas :eek:

2. Denise Evans

Registered

this is the worst I've seen in a long time, if ever :( I used to travel 84 often.

3. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm so fascinated by Ryan's info from beginning of the storms coming through the Northwest, how they move and where they move. He's possibly going to do another live one today, and he and his buddies (storm-chasers like Reed Timmer) are helping a lot of people have warnings even before NWS. They are planning, if possible, to do live-videos everyday, mainly through the worst seasons for storms. Ryan is so interesting, to me anyway, that his broadcasts replace what I would usually be watching on TV. Just amazing coverage compared to regular weather channels.

His live broadcast go for hours, and he's very good at putting things in non-technical terms so all can understand. You can find a lot of videos, short ones, on his Youtube channel I'll list again below. He's also on Twitter, Facebook, but really encourage photographs from us, those watching. Some amazing weather photos just using smartphones too. Btw, are you seeing anything yet for Huntsville @Yvonne Smith and other parts of Alabama, more NW Corner?
    https://www.youtube.com/c/RyanHallYall

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

What winter weather? It hit 60 yesterday and it's in the 50s now. That will change in a couple days though.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is indeed an awful pileup, @Faye Fox ! I have been over that pass, and it is no fun even when the weather is decent. It has been many years since I was over it, but I remember truckers worrying about losing their brakes, and when I was driving a U-haul truck with the horse trailer on behind, I was worrying about that myself .

Here is the map so people can see where it is located that are not familiar with Oregon . The yellow lines are where traffic is slow (looks like a long ways ), and the red lines are where it is still closed down. I drew a circle around the area where the pile up has closed the pass.
    There is red near LaGrande , too.
    Probably because they had to close the pass , or is that where the pile up actually is at; do you know, Faye ?

562A9797-4723-49CF-97AC-DFD49C67D766.jpeg

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith Yes coming down that grade with a trailer, especially loaded with livestock, even in good weather is dangerous. Over the last 25 years they have really widened it and taken out some of the rapid grade but more curves were added but the width has really made a difference. Many an out of area truck has taken the emergency sand ramps or set their brakes on fire coming down Dead Mans. Also for the history buffs, this part of I 84 is near the old Oregon Trail. One can still see the wagon wheel ruts. I had friends stuck in yesterday's crashes and they are OK although their semi RV was demolished. They came back from wintering in Arizona a month early due to sick relatives. I have had two friends killed on that pass over the years.

The freeway opened this morning due to a half dozen well-equipped tow companies, 17 injured and transported by ambulance, 70 taken to the PendletonConvention Center (by the famous Roundup Rodeo grounds), and no fatalities. Nothing short of a miracle since several cars went under semi-trailers and were demolished. 170 vehicles involved in multiple crashes that spanned three miles. The first responders in Eastern Oregon never cease to amaze me.

The crashes were near Mecham. The first crashes were caused by a semi-losing vision near the Mecham exit and hitting a concrete barrier. Everyone travels way too fast for conditions on that freeway. Truck drivers won't chain if any bare or light-covered pavement. They get tired of taking chains on and off. Drivers of 4 wheel drives don't realize that while they can go faster, their braking will still take the same distance as 2 wheel drive. One can lose all sense of direction in a white out

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have played that game looking out the open driver's side window wearing special vision ski goggles. It helps to have a rider looking out also for any markers like a fence post, power poles lines, just anything including truck trailer high marker lights. Taillights are long iced over.

10. Denise Evans

Registered

This was something I have never seen a video of and it was so meaningful for me to see:

11. Denise Evans

Registered

Pretty dangerous tornado on the ground:

Iowa, near Winterset/Patterson

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

Here's one of the best storm-chasers that work with Ryanhallyall, this footage was in Iowa tornados today

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

More snow last night. I cannot get to the big greenhouse to shovel the roof so I hope it does not collapse under the weight. Otherwise, it is sunny and in the high 20s F.

14. Denise Evans

Registered

more tornado possibility:

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We had some snow this morning but it quickly turned into a melt-fest. Things are wet out there.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.