Winter Weather

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Bill Boggs, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Old Man Winter is basically "right around the corner" for us. A week from today, our high will be 71, with an overnight low of 42. This will be some 25 degrees lower than temps we've been having. But, within a couple of days, we will be back up into the lower 80's. Our first snow of winter is a month and a half away. Usually by Halloween.

Lots of newcomers to Colorado's Front Range love the summer outdoor activities that are here, but when the snow starts flying and temps take a big dip, many of them really wonder "what is going on?". That's because they have never actually lived in a winter/snow area before. And, driving up to a Ski Resort for a day, like in So. California, sure isn't the same as "living" in it.

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born in Canada but it took me years to learn my lesson. I thought living in ice and snow was part of life. I learned it dose not have to be so now I am living in the tropics

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It doesn't really bother us, Martin, since we don't have to go out in a blizzard or snowstorm. I'm fully retired and my wife works for a company from home. We love watching it snow, and, we are the only ones in our family that actually enjoy living in a snow area. We lived in a non-snow area of Jacksonville, Florida, for 10 1/2 years and ended up returning to the snow area. Most folks where we live here fully understand why we returned, but those folks in Jacksonville definitely didn't.

Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have had a couple light frosts, and there is new snow on the mountains around us, but none down here so far. A possibility of snow was forecast for here today, but that has been changed to rain, although it is currently partly cloudy and 45 F.

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We got our first snowfall last night--just a light dusting on the ground and about 1/2 inch on vehicles and unheated buildings. I expect it to be gone by noon. Friends over the hill received 1 1/2 inches, so theirs may stay into the afternoon. Areas to the north and east were expected to receive more, but I have heard no reports. I guess summer is over for us.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

This morning at 6:30AM, it was 42 degrees. Now, that is brrrrrrrr weather! Last night, our Rocky Mountains got a dusting of snow, but, starting tomorrow, we will be back up into the mid 80's again. Thank God boating season is still going. Hope to finally get ours on the local lake either tomorrow or Thursday, but won't launch until around noon. Our mornings are still too cool to be out on a lake (for us, anyway).

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Apparently big snow is predicted for Thursday. Gale force winds and possible heavy snow...BLIZZARD, yippee! I'm really glad I don't have to commute anymore. Interior of Alaska got between 4 and 7 inches of snow last night, and our son in the outskirts of Anchorage got a couple inches. We got our potatoes in this afternoon. We wouldn't normally have dug them in the wet soil, but with snow on the way, we had to get it done. We still have cabbage and leeks and celeriac in the garden, but everything else is harvested.

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

No blizzard materialized. Not even any snow. Temps around 30 F. this morning. NWS strikes again.

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It is snowing now, but no blizzard as no wind top speak of. The ground is covered but just barely.

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Awoke to snow that was not predicted. The snow was supposed to stay to the north and east, but...oops. This is the 29th anniversary of closing on this house. We moved in a couple days later and were hit by 18" of snow the next day 29 years ago.

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

15 F. this morning but much of the day was bright and sunny. The high was around freezing. On the recommendation of @Faye Fox I picked up a battery-powered chain saw yesterday. The one Faye recommended is not available anywhere here (Stihl 140) so I had to settle for a Dewalt. I l already have several Dewalt cordless tools, so another charger and battery is always useful. I wanted a small saw that my wife could handle should she need to, and she is not at all comfortable with gas engines that require a pull start. We worked much of the first part of the afternoon cutting with it--the charge lasted about an hour of constant cutting--then I ran much of it through the splitter to replenish the wood I burned heating our greenhouse this fall.

I must say, the little battery chain saw was a lot easier to use than the gas ones I have. It won't handle the bigger trees, though, so I will have to keep the gas ones around for me.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

On Tuesday night, around 8PM, we heard a noise outside...........it was a downpour of hail. Not big hail stones, but definitely hail! Luckily, we have our vehicle inside a garage. Then came the lightning/thunder. I-25 was completely shutdown going north of Ft. Collins to the Wyoming border due to high wind and snow.

Now, today (Thursday) expecting some of the same, but not as bad. This morning it was 33 degrees outside. Time to put away the short-sleeve shirts and shorts and get out the winter coats. Due to the cold air, it will also be time to get our our three humidifiers.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Raining today but a cool front will push through tomorrow evening lowering temps into the '50s!! Brrrrrrrr. :D

14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

low 70s today....possible showers tomorrow

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

30 F. this morning with a dusting of snow overnight. More snow is predicted for tomorrow, but, as usual, we'll see....