Wonderful Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 29, 2017.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just about crapped my pants when I logged on to my Walmart.com account and saw the groceries I had purchased at the store listed in the Recent Purchases area. It seems that since I have the same credit card in my Profile for my Walmart.com purchases as I use in the stores, they used it to associate all my in-store purchases with me in my Account. I changed a setting, but can't recall if it stopped tracking the in-store buys or if it merely stopped cluttering up my Recent Purchases searches with them.

What sucks is after I got over the shock, I actually found it to be a handy thing to have.

2. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

3. John Brunner

4. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Ann France

Ann France Well-Known Member
    Registered

I purchased a Apple Watch 3 a couple of years ago and have enjoyed using it for email, texts, tracking my walks and swimming. I have it sinc with MyFitnessPal to track calories. It all worked great until it needed to be updated. I kept going in circles because I couldn’t remember my password so I put it in a drawer for over a month. This was not good for me because I fell off my daily walk and weekly swimming routines. So seeing this forum topic motivated me to get Apple support and finally get my watch working. So now I’ll be back to walking and swimming.

6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

how marvelous for you.

Ann France likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I figured this was a good place to post my question...

I made an abrupt move a week or so ago that my watch interpreted as a fall, and I said "No, just normal activity" in response to its query. My understanding is that this gets logged as "normal activity" to be ignored should it happen again. I've decided that I want the watch to be as sensitive as possible to sudden movements, and I cannot find any way to erase what it's "learned" so far. There is no watch or phone menu item I can find to "reset" this, and internet searches are impossible to phrase such that I don't get a pile of irrelevant results and not a single pertinent one.

Does anyone here have any idea on how to reset Apple Watch Fall Detection Learning?

Kate Ellery likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Try turning the setting off.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

You mean turn it off then turn it back on???

That might work, but I've have no way of verifying...

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes. I'm guessing it will reset to the original setting.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Done! :)

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

You watch must be sensitive like hubbies cause I’ve tripped ( walking up very steep stairs down the beach ) but not fallen and my watch just ignored it, where hubs it would have come up as a possible fall @John Brunner I must go in check my settings on mine .

Our watches are version 6 so they would be at least 2 years old .

Our neighbours 30+ year old son is disabled he tipped his scooter over while going from the road to the footpath, and while he can walk short distances with crutches he wasn’t able to get his scooter back on its wheels ,so his watch alerted his parents.

Neighbours son only purchased his watch after knowing how good they are after my hubbies experience( breaking his hip from a slip / fall in his shed )

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

My Version SE does not have any sensitivity settings. I believe that @Bobby Cole mentioned his watch "learned" his activities that it might interpret as a fall...it asks if that was normal behaviour, and if you say "Yes" it goes into the algorithm of Fall Detection. I have one such data point I wish to remove from the "Normal Behaviour" list. But I see no way to do it, nor do I see any general sensitivity settings. Maybe my SE is different that other versions in that regard.

Regarding your husband and your neighbors' son: technology is amazing, isn't it? I don't have any threatening health problems, but I feel better being all alone knowing I have this fall detection and fast 911 access with me at all times, just by wearing a watch.

Yvonne Smith and Kate Ellery like this.
  14. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks John my hubby is reasonably fit for almost 75.

His fall was mainly due to the fact he had normal walking type shoes on ( if he ‘s doing any shed work he would normally put his work boots on )

However in Jan 27th last year the postman had just delivered our replacement filters for our under sink filtration system for our drinking water ….so he went out to the shed washed out the filter housing system with rainwater right by the shed door ..stepped on a ripe peach he more than likely knocked off the tree ( right by the shed )

So when he stepped into the shed with wet / slippery shoes he went for a slide which resulted in a hip replacement
    @John Brunner .
    Yes good on you for getting a watch to protect your health and well being

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a series 6 that I seldom wear because I'm so used to fitness trackers. I like to glance at my watch and see my heart rate and steps/distance without scrolling, tapping, pushing buttons, etc. and the Apple Fitness stuff just does not cut it. I also prefer the Fitbit app but that's another story.

Apparently there is an easy work-around... download a free app called "Pedometer ++" and add it to the watch apps. Now it can be selected from the "complications" menu on the watch faces that have user-configurable complications. I can see steps/distance traveled on the watch face. (Still have to touch for heart rate, though.)

This is the step/distance (miles) on the right-hand size of the display. (I haven't worn the watch today).

IMG_1482.jpg

I'm going to play around with it and see how I like the "arrangement" but I'm happy that there are some easy solutions.