Wonderful Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Beat some Saltines with a cutting board. :D

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No one should be using Apple watches, if for no reason other than that I don't like them.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Why?

I looked at the Samsung/Droid ones and they do not have one-touch 911, which is the only reason I went with Apple. So far I really like it, but my iPhone12 and this Apple Watch are my very first Apple products...and I have no other phone watch to compare it to. I resisted Apple products forever just because I did not want to be part of the clique. Heck, you got Macs.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

For an expensive watch, they look cheap, like the ones they don't even put inside the case at Penny's - like the ones intended for 5th or 6th-graders. If they ever make one that doesn't require a phone, I might consider it. Probably not, though, as my eyes aren't so good that I want to squint at watch setups. I like my Macs, but I'm not so crazy about the iPhone and have had no interest in an iPad.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Hubby has all his “ important stuff “ like heart rate / walking fitness app installed on the watch face @Beth Gallagher ( you can have tiny apps in-the 4 corners of the watch face)

We have the apple phone so we do all out setting for the watch like downloading apps in the phone
    and of course if you have any issues setting apps up I’ve found apples phone help excellent with tech any any settings.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I resisted belonging to the Apple Cult for as long as I could and I still prefer a PC to a Mac (gasp). I do admire all the seamless integration, though.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, I know about the Apple apps; this is my 3rd Apple watch. I just don't want to have to touch the watch screen, or swipe, or turn the knob, etc. I just want to look at the watch and see how many steps I've taken today. :D I still have to touch the screen to see my heart rate but I don't look at that too often unless I'm exercising.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  8. John Brunner

#1: I agree 1,000% on the looks. They DO look like a cheap plastic toy. I don't like it, either. The Samsung looks like an adult watch. You can buy different bezels and bands and complete "adult watch kits" that you plop the Apple Watch inside of. I'm sure you've seen them:

Watch 3.jpg

#2: You can use the watch to make/receive calls as a stand-alone device without a phone, but you do need an iPhone to set it up. I know there's a way to set up multiple watches from someone else's iPhone if you don't have a dedicated iPhone to pair it with (I've seen vids on it), but I'm not familiar with the details, nor do I know how/if different phone numbers might be managed or how each phone's O/S is kept updated. I will say that I've not gone back into the Watch Setup function in the iPhone once I settled in on the configuration I wanted (other than to manage O/S updates). As I told Beth, I set up a bunch of difference faces so I could have every complication I might use available on my wrist...all the different faces with their complications are uploaded to the watch and are available without further use of the phone.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't think the Apple watch looks cheap at all, but I do prefer a leather band. My friend just bought the all-metal bezel and watch band for hers; now it looks like a cheap Walmart men's watch. :D Of course, she likes it so whatev.

ETA--one thing I like that I had forgotten about... we have a RING doorbell and I'd get notifications on my Fitbit, but only text of "someone is at the door." With the AW, I get the actual color screen video of what the camera captured, just as I see on my iPhone.

10. Kate Ellery

Registered

Yep .we both still have laptops ( only use mine for my sewing machine embroidery programs ) but he still uses his for allot of stuff. @Beth Gallagher
    I mainly got the iPad years ago for when we traveled up to the Gold Coast each winter cause it was far better than carrying the bulky laptop as well as all the extras we tend to use with a laptop like the mouse / the cords .

I liked it and the “ love of apple” for compactness (is that a word ):) grew ,especially now days when the airlines weigh your carry on luggage including a bottle of water if you are carrying one

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Kate Ellery

Registered

Our watch’s are the “cheaper ones” without a sim card @John Brunner so we can’t make calls from ours however we can answer calls on our watches.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I agree, Kate. We have a lot of Apple devices now; we both have watches, iPads, iPhones, etc. I have a Macbook but I seldom use it; I just prefer a Windows machine.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Registered

Have you got your heart rate set so it notifies you if it falls or raises above your target rate ?

I’ve had a few very low rates ( just had a heap of tests including a 24 hour BP monitor ( twice in one week)
    as well as heart monitor / kidney check MRI / Ultrasound on my heart / Full blood tests
    I’ve got a huge bruise in my upper arm from the BP 24 hour monitor.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, I have notifications set, but thankfully my heart rate is fairly consistent.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I believe mine cost an extra $30 to get the SIM card, @Kate Ellery. One month of saved Life Alert fees paid for it. Either way, it's nice having that phone on your wrist, isn't it? Other than me wearing it in the far reaches of my property and leaving the phone in the house so it won't get broken, the regular one would meet all of my needs. The only exception has been when I've forgotten my cell phone when I've run an errand. Since I always have my watch on if I'm not in bed, I'm never without a phone. It's another one of those "Why would anyone need that?" things that has become indispensable now that I have one.

Kate Ellery and Yvonne Smith like this.